The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GOLDEN AGE PROJECT PRE-73 (for punk?) Single-Channel Preamps
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

GOLDEN AGE PROJECT PRE-73 (for punk?)

I have heard a lot about this preamp and it is something like 7th place on the top 10 list of sold preamps on the webshop where I order my gear.

I suppose this preamp is trying to mimic the sound of the famous 1073? Does it get anywhere close? I have nothing to compare too.

I also wonder if this preamp would be suitable for someone recording mainly punk rock.

Today I have the Tube MP project series, but I've had it for such a long time and I feel it's time for an upgrade, but nothing that is going to kill my wallet.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yes its designed to sound similar to a 1073,
does it, not really! For the price they have a good sound and an even better sound can be obtained by mod'ing them.

but the best advice I can give you is USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!
this pre has been covered in detail hundreds of times on this forum
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thank you for your reply. I did search but found nothing of satisfaction. No one with experience of using it for only punk and heavy rock.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Don't think genre would matter all that much. If you want a pretty clean sound (in terms of translation of the source material), leave output gain up. If you want a thicker or crunchier sound, turn input gain up and output down. It might not be the exact preamp used for Dookie, but it's not going to make a huge difference to the sound vs a knockoff of an API or whatever was used for that album. It will sound more detailed than the tube MP.

BTW, if you do some digging and discover that Green Day used an API, I've heard tell of a clone-ish thing from Black Lion Audio that is in the same price range as the GAP
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

For an API sound I would check out

Black Lion Audio B12A 1/2 Rack Mic Pre | Alto Music

you won't find anything about these pres on their web page which I still find strange

heres a thread dedicated to these little clones

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...api-clone.html
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have the blue tube pre and have just added the PRE-73. It works great for a gritty sound. I'm an aging punk and know what it should sound like. PRE-73 will work great. Big upgrade to the Blue Tube.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

It clearly states on the box "NOT FOR PUNK".

What's wrong with you people?!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pies View Post

you won't find anything about these pres on their web page which I still find strange

Wow. I might start recommending this to people. For that price...That's crazy. I love 312's.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
It clearly states on the box "NOT FOR PUNK".

What's wrong with you people?!
But then using it anyway would be soooooo punk
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Yes its designed to sound similar to a 1073,
does it, not really! For the price they have a good sound and an even better sound can be obtained by mod'ing them.
Don't believe this! They have quite a lot of the flavour of a 1073-style pre (at least as much as some vintage 1073s have to each other!) and both myself and my studio partner independently came to the conclusion that we preferred them to a real 1066 in A/B situation (when neither of us owned one at the time).

I've never felt the need to mod mine...mod reports do vary, people rave about them, some see little difference.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:

Nice! I hadn't seen this. I bought one.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Don't believe this! They have quite a lot of the flavour of a 1073-style pre
I disagree along with many others!
see if you can loan one or go and try one out some where
then you can see how they sound to your ears
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
I disagree along with many others!
see if you can loan one or go and try one out some where
then you can see how they sound to your ears
I bought a GAP73 after comparing it to several real ones!

Did you miss the part in the same post where I commented how 2 of us came to the same conclusion independently, before suggesting I'm commenting on something I've never tried (which I make a point of never doing).

I'm not saying they're the SAME..I'm saying they're in the same ballpark. The GAP73 is obviously technically inferior, the price tells you that much - but it's a nice flavour of inferior, that sometimes works better than the technically superior option.

Or to put it another way - at the price, everyone should have one.
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I got my GAP Pre-73 a couple of days ago. Not tried it so much yet. But I like what I hear. Definitely a warmer sound than my Tube MP Project Series. It's not like it does anything magic to your vocals, but a lot warmer and maybe thicker.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search