The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
analog to digital conversion? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

analog to digital conversion?

What is the best way to go from analog to digital?

I just recorded an album with my band on an otari mx-5050 and want to put it on the internet or somewhere on my computer to put onto cd.. I'm wondering what the best way and cheapest (if not free) way to do this would be. I did a little conversion through an M-audio interface and it's pretty hissy on some of the stuff.. I know there's a way to do it very well, just don't what it is, and i know you smart fellas probably do.

much obliged
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Well you'd need at minimum an 8 channel mixer and a stereo AD converter. Or just an 8 input AD converter. Depends if you want mix control on all channels ITB or OTB.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

thanks.. I have an eight channel mixer... but could you point me in the direction of a good AD converter? will my mobilepre m-audio interface work as an a/d converter?
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
thanks.. I have an eight channel mixer... but could you point me in the direction of a good AD converter? will my mobilepre m-audio interface work as an a/d converter?
Yes - it records, so therefore it converts analogue to digital.

Most people wouldn't call it "quality" conversion, but then again many many records were made with substantially worse conversion in the past.

Here's an idea - why not try it? if it doesn't sound good enough to you, then look for something else.
Old 14th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Yes - it records, so therefore it converts analogue to digital.

Most people wouldn't call it "quality" conversion, but then again many many records were made with substantially worse conversion in the past.

Here's an idea - why not try it? if it doesn't sound good enough to you, then look for something else.
Damn right, you tell it like a Lavry Gold :P
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
What is the best way to go from analog to digital?

I just recorded an album with my band on an otari mx-5050 and want to put it on the internet or somewhere on my computer to put onto cd.. I'm wondering what the best way and cheapest (if not free) way to do this would be. I did a little conversion through an M-audio interface and it's pretty hissy on some of the stuff.. I know there's a way to do it very well, just don't what it is, and i know you smart fellas probably do.

much obliged

I would recommend having it professionally mixed on an analog board, and then transferred to digital 2track, if you care about the material at all or plan on mass producing it this will probably give you the best results.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search