The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 preamp upgrade? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 preamp upgrade?

Anybody know a great preamp to put infront of a scarlett for pop female (katy perry, britney spears, adele) vocals?

I'm going to be using either a RODE NT-2A, AT-4050, 4035, 4040, MXL V67, or an SM7B.
Old 14th September 2011
How much you spending?
And what country do you live in?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Under $600 new or used.
I live in the USA.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bump?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have the Scarlett and I use my VP312 on the line in. Sounds great.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Mains-powered pres almost always sound better than built-in interface pres. That's been my experience anyways.

As I just got one and LOVE IT, my vote is for the ISA One Analog. It's going for $390 at a couple places online.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierge99 View Post
Mains-powered pres almost always sound better than built-in interface pres. That's been my experience anyways.

As I just got one and LOVE IT, my vote is for the ISA One Analog. It's going for $390 at a couple places online.
This. Love my 18i6 with the Isa One.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Isa One?

That's 2 people, just need one more to sign off and this thing is BOUGHT.

Not to mention...

This thing looks schmexy in a utilitarian, WWII german engineering way.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yep. It's purdy, sounds killer, nice and quiet. Quality build. Couldn't bear to use my GAP Pre-73 once this was sitting on my desktop.
Old 20th September 2011
UA610
Old 14th October 2011
Here for the gear

I have to agree with the other posters about the ISA One. Sounds great.

You said you had a Scarlett. Which one though? If you are using the 2i2, I read a comment by a Focusrite engineer (in a Dutch forum) in reply to a question regarding a true bypass of the internal preamps. He said you'd need to go through the line in's on the rear for a "true" bypass. If you're using a 2i2 it only has the two combo in's on the front, but what he was recommending was using the line ins on the rear of the unit like the 8i6 and the 18i6 have.

I own the 8i6, and I use an XLR to balanced TRS converter out of the ISA One into line 3 or 4 on the back to bypass the pres.

All that said, I was very impressed with the quality of the pres on the unit itself. I just happened to need a bit more gain than the 55dB they allow. The built in pres are very clean, even up through to the very top of the gain range it was surprisingly without the hiss I'm used to getting with my Mbox3.
Old 15th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald View Post
Anybody know a great preamp to put infront of a scarlett for pop female (katy perry, britney spears, adele) vocals?

I'm going to be using either a RODE NT-2A, AT-4050, 4035, 4040, MXL V67, or an SM7B.

i use that with a Focusrite ISA One and i love the clean clear sound it gives
Old 15th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierge99 View Post

yep thats what i use and it sounds amazing together
Old 15th October 2011
Gear Addict

Ditto. Isa One FTW.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search