The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kick Drum Distortion...
Old 14th September 2011
Kick Drum Distortion...

I've been noticing more and more that a lot of metal bands today are using overdrive or distortion on the kick drum. Just wondering if this is the norm now, or is it an experimental technique? I've noticed it mainly on tracks that require a lot of 'power' from the drums...

Any opinions, since I know technique can be a sensitive subject to some...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I noticed that a lot of bands that think they are metal use a sample of clicking chopsticks to replace their kickdrum sounds. Haha.

No, distorting drums is fun. Try it on snares (preamp, with a 1176/clone, plugin), toms.. the lot. Cymbals don't take it too well. Smashing the room mic to hell and back can work, if you got a balance in the signal. Another "trick" is to shear the peaks (= drums) of a mix with limiting. Do it relentless enough and it sounds like distortion, because it IS.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
I noticed that a lot of bands that think they are metal use a sample of clicking chopsticks to replace their kickdrum sounds.
Thumbs so INCREDIBLY FAR up!!!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've been noticing more and more that a lot of metal bands today are using overdrive or distortion on the kick drum.
what records have you noticed this on?

The norm with modern metal production is to replace the kick drum with a sample I haven't noticed many if any records with a distorted kick, but people are certainly smashing room mics to distortion which can sound great mixed with triggers and close mics .
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissmichaels View Post
I've been noticing more and more that a lot of metal bands today are using overdrive or distortion on the kick drum. Just wondering if this is the norm now, or is it an experimental technique? I've noticed it mainly on tracks that require a lot of 'power' from the drums...

Any opinions, since I know technique can be a sensitive subject to some...
Have a few examples? I have not noticed this either, but as Pies alluded to, you may be hearing a purposely overdriven sound.

Cheers.
Old 23rd March 2012
The entire album "Ashes Of The Wake" by Lamb of God, or even their album "Sacrament". I noticed the overdrive/distortion while listening to the drum track for "Redneck" on 'Sacrament - Producer Edition'. I'll warn you now before looking for it and listening: That snare has a ringing problem (it's not a problem, but part of their drummer's signature. I think the thing is 10" across to be honest).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search