The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me confirm my future products Dynamic Microphones
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Help me confirm my future products

So I've already been through the amateur teenage $500 setup. And I must say that doesn't work too well. Especially if you didn't know what room treatment is. Well I got rid of all my equipment (Mxl 990, Presonus interface, etc,.) and I've been studying, reading, and learning so I wont have to make the same mistake twice. I am a PC user and I'll just be doing Hip Hop vocal recordings. But I have about $2000 to spend this Black Friday and here are the items I planned on acquiring:
RME BabyFace ($749)
MXL 2003a ($179.95 (getting it modded by Oktava eventually)
Yamaha HS50 or the KRK RP6 G2's (both $199 each, can't decide)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones ($159)
Auralex DS-2 Pro Designer Kit ($274.99) / Might even buy more if needed
Okay So I think I have the necessities as I've been mastering my list for months and months and I think I've come to conclusion. But If anybody else has any suggestions/tips/questions, I'm all ears. Is there anything else that I'm missing guys? At the moment I'll be using the built-in pre's on my BabyFace (excited to try the new RME FX), but eventually I'll probably upgrade to an actual preamp. Thanks.

Last edited by Apollo Ace; 14th September 2011 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: Adding
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Instead of the Auralex kit, you should consider making your own DIY broadband absorbers. (Lot's of build info in the acoustics sub forum or out on Google)

Much better performance than foam...or a mix of the 2 could be ok.

I'm personally not a fan of the HS-50 & many people are not a fan of the cheap KRK monitors either.
For what sounds like a great budget monitor deal, check out the Equator Audio D5 thread in the new products sub forum.
Aren't the HS $199 each? So the Equator would actually be cheaper.

Are you sure the MXL is what you are looking for in a mic? Dynamics like the SM7B or maybe the Heil PR30 often get recommendations for Hip-Hop vocals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search