The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tips Recording Bass Straight To PC? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Tips Recording Bass Straight To PC?

hey all,

for the past few months i have been using guitar rig at my friends place to record bass. Unfortunatley i dont have this software and i dont think i would want to spend 200 pounds on a software just to record bass.

i dont have a bass amp as i am more of a 6 string player and at the my homestudio i am just plugging straight in to my focusrite sapphire and hitting the record button on cubase with compressor/eq.

Is there anything out there that i could use to enhance my bass recording without buying a bass amp and micing it up?!

or any tips/vst to improve the quality of my recording (Except for guitar rig :P)

Thanks!

Aaron
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

New strings?

That's really about it, short of a rig, and more toys. Play around with the compressor and eq settings....which ones are you using, btw?

Your best bet is probably to post an audio example, and maybe someone will have some eq/comp tips.

Cheers.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Do you have a Sans Amp DI unit? If not, try this free VST plugin.

TheSerinaExperiment.net • View topic - TSE B.O.D - Final version
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
A good DI with a variable line output driver ( ie.. U-5, Really Nice DI, etc..)
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

taking a consolidated file to your friends place? +1 pn bass driver
THIS isn't to bad
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Groove Tubes Passive DI works well for me. $40 USD
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of the LR Baggs Para DI for bass direct. Totally adjustable tone and volume controls.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
GZsound - I'm a big fan of the LR Baggs Para DI for bass direct. Totally adjustable tone and volume controls.
I was thinking of buying that for my acoustic, so from your experience, I guess it does works as well for the bass, right?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

aaron_mky, you can't go wrong with a SansAmp DI...I own one, and it has served me so well!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_mky View Post
hey all,

for the past few months i have been using guitar rig at my friends place to record bass. Unfortunatley i dont have this software and i dont think i would want to spend 200 pounds on a software just to record bass.

i dont have a bass amp as i am more of a 6 string player and at the my homestudio i am just plugging straight in to my focusrite sapphire and hitting the record button on cubase with compressor/eq.

Is there anything out there that i could use to enhance my bass recording without buying a bass amp and micing it up?!

or any tips/vst to improve the quality of my recording (Except for guitar rig :P)

Thanks!

Aaron
Get a DI, a JDI radial will do just fine, plug your bass to the DI, then from the DI output to the saffire mic input, thats it...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
a good outboard compressor, setup the right way will do wonders for tracking bass straight into your computer. next best thing is to monitor thru the daw at a low-latency setting, with a compressor plugin set up the right way.

then use plugins to eq the sound and maybe emulate a speaker cab. it depends on the music. I used to record bass straight into the daw for the simplicity of it all, but have gone back to using a good amp because it's just easier/faster to get good tone if you know what you are doing. just play evenly and with a soft touch for good tone.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

You can take a basic bass sound and shape it more. EQ, Compress, Distort, Saturate, bass amplification simulation like Ampeg SVX, cabs simulations and so on. On the free side you can try AmpliTube 3 FREE and if you still want to get an Ampeg amp or two you can do it for a lot less now with the Custom Shop.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
You can take a basic bass sound and shape it more. EQ, Compress, Distort, Saturate, bass amplification simulation like Ampeg SVX, cabs simulations and so on. On the free side you can try AmpliTube 3 FREE and if you still want to get an Ampeg amp or two you can do it for a lot less now with the Custom Shop.
I may be wrong but are you suggesting it doesn't matter what kind of signal you record to your DAW...once the signal is there (ITB) you can shape it to sound however you'd like?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nope. I'm saying that a lot of times bass is just a DI'd bass and nothing more. Sometimes people will compress it, or add a bit of saturation/distortion or other times use amp modeling.

You can't do that with just any sound in your DAW, but bass can be shaped more IME.
Old 15th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_mky View Post
hey all,

Aaron
free (and legal):

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : guitar rig Free

also free (and legal), with more models and updatable one model at a time via the custom shop:

AmpliTube 3 FREE - Custom Shop - Your New Tone Shop Plug-in

matt
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Ahh brill thank you all for your advice..

i am getting a presonus studiolive soon so i prob most likely look in to DI box just to enhance the signal before going to the mixing desk - pc

Thanks Again!

Aaron
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anytime, good luck on your tone journey!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Watch this video. Its funny and is a great tip at the same time:
Recording metal Bass guitar at home - The Fearedse way - YouTube

It may be aimed at metal bass, but you can ease up the distortion to make it warmer if thats the sound you are after. The blend method works really well mind. Also consider highpassing the bass at around 30hz. IME makes it sit easier in the mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search