The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Selling the old to fund the new... Studio Monitors
Old 13th September 2011
Selling the old to fund the new...

I'm broke. Going to sell some gear I haven't used in a while to pay for some new stuff.

So, out with the MESA rectifier 4x12 cabinet... think I can get $600?
out with the DBX 386... $250-$300?

The problem I'm trying to solve:

I've been mixing on M-audio sp6b for, like the last 10+ years. They suck. They suck so bad. Maybe I can get $50 for 'em?

But I also need headphones for working at night and a power soak for the dual rec

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

A powrsoak wont chnage the tone of the DR that much, unless you mostly just use the green and orange channels. I dont think its worth it. You can build a plywood box with egg foam to put on top of a 1x12 for a lot less, and this way you get real speaker distortion too.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Don't sell anything, buy what you need and use what you have IMO. Collect. Once you get into better gear it's more about options. Just keep on keeping on until you can afford to buy more options for your sound. I'm not against upgrading, and you've been using that stuff for a while, but at least don't sell until after you've upgraded to something you're satisfied with. Nothing worse than taking a step backwards, or even a side step, unless it's a funcionality issue.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
A powrsoak wont chnage the tone of the DR that much, unless you mostly just use the green and orange channels. I dont think its worth it. You can build a plywood box with egg foam to put on top of a 1x12 for a lot less, and this way you get real speaker distortion too.
I probably should have been more detailed im my original post. I'm not looking to change the tone of the Dual Rec. I'm recording the DR through the slave out (with IRs) and using a 1x12 cabinet stuffed in a closet for the load. I'm just looking to shed the 1x12 and the excess noise.

I'm looking at either replacing the sp5b's with Focal CMS 50 or trying the new Equator D5s ($300) wich would leave money left over for some headphones and a hot plate. Then add the Focals later.

I'm just so over the M-audios that I don't know if I want to even waste my time with another set of $300 monitors...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search