The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speakers to complete set of PMC TB2S+: NS10M Studio or AE22? Studio Monitors
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Speakers to complete set of PMC TB2S+: NS10M Studio or AE22?

Hi!

Need advice please.

Which speakers will better complete set of PMC TB2S+: NS10M Studio or AE22 Passsive?

Your choice?!

The point is better translation to the different kinds of speakers.

I listened, but never mixed on NS10MS.
Made one demo mix on AE22, it sounded very good in the car, on the pc speakers and PMC's but sounded strange on Tannoy's with dual concentric.
Mixe's that were made (not by me) on NS10M Studio sounded fine on Tannoy's.

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Pmc tb2s+: Ns10
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
Pmc tb2s+: Ns10
Thanks!

Did You tried to work or had own these 2 pairs of speakers?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
Just heard very good things of the PMC, I think they will work great.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

I currently own the PMCs and couldn't be happier with my mixes, but I do supplement for the sub-frequencies with a B&W sub. The PMC's, although lovely monitors, don't go lower than 40hz.

To be honest, It's a matter of working with what you have. Monitors, no matter how good they are, will not automatically translate to better mixes. If you mixed a project on AE22's, were not happy with the results, but heard another mix where a different person used NS-10's and loved it... well.. that doesn't necessarily mean that if you purchase a set of NS-10's your mixes will sound like you want them to.

I owned the NS-10's before, but honestly, realize that I didn't need them to mix well and stuck with my now living-room speakers --trusty Dynaudio BM6's, mainly because I took the time to learn the BM6's. What the NS-10's will give you is a certain sound signature that will make it... i don't want to say easier, but... once you learn how snares, vocals and other instruments sound on the yammies, it will become easier to mix on them. But like I said, this is the same learning experience you would have with any other speaker.
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
I currently own the PMCs and couldn't be happier with my mixes, but I do supplement for the sub-frequencies with a B&W sub. The PMC's, although lovely monitors, don't go lower than 40hz.

To be honest, It's a matter of working with what you have. Monitors, no matter how good they are, will not automatically translate to better mixes. If you mixed a project on AE22's, were not happy with the results, but heard another mix where a different person used NS-10's and loved it... well.. that doesn't necessarily mean that if you purchase a set of NS-10's your mixes will sound like you want them to.

I owned the NS-10's before, but honestly, realize that I didn't need them to mix well and stuck with my now living-room speakers --trusty Dynaudio BM6's, mainly because I took the time to learn the BM6's. What the NS-10's will give you is a certain sound signature that will make it... i don't want to say easier, but... once you learn how snares, vocals and other instruments sound on the yammies, it will become easier to mix on them. But like I said, this is the same learning experience you would have with any other speaker.
Thanks!

I already own PMC TB2S+ and mixing/mastering results using them are close to pro level.
Also I have Tannoy precision 6P which I try to sell now because I don't like the results after I A/B on them when mixing. It is better to mix only on PMCTB2S+ than.

I think You misunderstand what I've said about AE22's. I like mixing result on AE22 very much, it sounded everywhere more clear and balanced than mixes made by me on PMC's (except on the Tannoy's). But mixes on PMC's were more musical for my ears.

Once I was listening to my mixes made on different speakers in the car and the best translated mix that was made on AE22.

So the question was is NS10M Studio better then AE22 to A/B with PMC's.

Sorry for my EN skill level.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear
I guess just use which translate the best for you then.

Getting monitors that translate nice key.
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
I guess just use which translate the best for you then.

Getting monitors that translate nice key.

Right, but I never mixed on NS10M Studio's...
Just want to make the right choice between them and AE22's to provide better sound for listeners. Now I'm thinking to pick the Acoustic Energy's.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

NS10. Maybe because i grew up on them, and know them, but if you're used to them, thay translate very well.
Old 26th September 2011
Using PMC TB2S-AII with TLE1 subwoofer here together with NS-10M.

The NS10s provide a radically different tonality which I found useful. I am arranging and recording on the PMCs then mainly balancing on the NS10s with cross checking and more detailed compression/eq work on the PMCs.

In addition, the NS-10M are a known quantity for anyone who visits the studio here, so we we always have some common ground. However, I can't speak for the AE22 as I've never used them.

Dom
Old 29th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonnoise View Post
Using PMC TB2S-AII with TLE1 subwoofer here together with NS-10M.

The NS10s provide a radically different tonality which I found useful. I am arranging and recording on the PMCs then mainly balancing on the NS10s with cross checking and more detailed compression/eq work on the PMCs.

In addition, the NS-10M are a known quantity for anyone who visits the studio here, so we we always have some common ground. However, I can't speak for the AE22 as I've never used them.

Dom

Thanks a lot for your experience.
Is it possible to hear somewhere one of your records mixed by using this combo please?
Old 29th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Z. View Post
Thanks a lot for your experience.
Is it possible to hear somewhere one of your records mixed by using this combo please?
Not yet unfortunately. The PMCs came this spring only, so the stuff has yet to be released. Previously I worked with the Mackie HR824 / NS10M combo in the same way. Examples of this as iTunes previews here: iTunes - Music - Dominik Scherrer

I do soundtrack work, so it may not be relevant to you.
Old 7th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonnoise View Post
Not yet unfortunately. The PMCs came this spring only, so the stuff has yet to be released. Previously I worked with the Mackie HR824 / NS10M combo in the same way. Examples of this as iTunes previews here: iTunes - Music - Dominik Scherrer

I do soundtrack work, so it may not be relevant to you.

Thank You! I've checked your releases and for the first look everything in the mixes is on their place. But for my personal choice mid frequencies maybe are a bit "scooped in" and miss some sweetness. May it be because of the NS10M's "mid forwardness"?
Old 9th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Z. View Post
But for my personal choice mid frequencies maybe are a bit "scooped in" and miss some sweetness. May it be because of the NS10M's "mid forwardness"?
Could be. Or it could be the enthusiastic mastering engineer adding too much oomph and sparkle, or simply a matter of taste, or because of the fact that the material is mixed for the screen where the music has to stay out of the middle because of dialogue and fx.

In any case, it's a good idea to learn how to use the NS10s to your advantage, otherwise one might end up with mixes that are very dull - compensating for their piercing high mids.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search