The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Producer setup - Interface question Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Producer setup - Interface question

Hi all,

I wont bore you with same old silly questions (ill try anyways)

Here's my situation -

- Im a producer. Cubase/Reason/VSTs Do not record vox at my studio
- External Setup consists of an MPC 1000, turntables/mixer, a synth or two
- Mostly in the box

Simple!

I need the following from an interface:

- Front panel headphone out with gain control
- Front panel monitor out control pot
- Software mixing capabilites (i dont have a desk)
- At least 8 inputs (outputs not as important)
- Metering for inputs on front panel with adjustable trims
- MIDI I/O for my MPC to control reason if i need it
- Good clean A/D for its class

Im looking at the RME fireface 400. Echo Audio units dont have any front panel business, so not really an option. I was leaning towards a Focusrite saffire but was told their A/D is no good. I can get a really good price on focusrite, but have a bad feeling.

Would you guys recommend the RME? Recordings are mostly out of my MPC (6 outs) and synth. I want something that'll last me a while and that gives me the best recordings for my price range. ($1000 - hopefully less). I do a lot of mixing too...

Also, I run a Windows 7 environment. I have a pretty new motherboard with Firewire and USB support. I would rather go for the fireface 400 as firewire is faster, and it looks like the only diff between the UC and 400 is USB/Firewire. Any thoughts on that? I would've thought USB 2.0 would lose over firewire any day...

Thanks guys. Im pretty much after a quick response - "get the RME" , "rather get a focusrite" etc etc. Dont wanna waste your time. I know how many of these posts there are out there.

Bigup
Whitenite
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't think that there is an interface with both headphone and monitor control knobs on the front panel.

The mix situation in RME products is superior.

If you look at the newer products coming to market, most are NOT Firewire. Looking towards the future, a Firewire purchase as a long term solution might be questionable today.

I am a fan of RME, in that for the last many many years they have fielded products that fit my requirements and that simply worked perfectly as long as I owned them. They are seldom the cheapest solution, but in the long run I feel that they offer high value and that is worth something to me.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks Bill.

Hadn't considered that USB would be more future proof than firewire - I just looked at transfer speed.

Had a closer look at the Fireface UC. Really would prefer at least headphone and/or master pot on the panel. Also not a fan of the breakout cable required for MIDI I/O. Im totally sold on RME's quality and converters (in their class), just not sure its the one. Would rather have a full 1U size interface if it at least had some more control and space for MIDI I/O (cables are my enemy). Theres nothing worse for me than having to control headphone volume with a mouse...

Beggers cant be choosers though. May just do it.

If anyone else has any brief suggestions in this price/feature range - please shoot!
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hours of research and still pulling hair out.

Are the recordings im gonna get out of the RME reallly that superior over, lets say, a MOTU ultralike MK3 hybrid or a focusrite ?

I need more control on the panel, but dont want to sacrifice conversion for something so trivial.

Any fireface users out there - how easy (or possible) is it to make the single encoder knob on the front to control master out and headphone out?

i.e. if im workin late, can i easily switch that encoder to control only the headphone volume, but then quickly change it so that it controls my monitor volume? is that done from the software or can i do it on the device?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhitenite View Post

Any fireface users out there - how easy (or possible) is it to make the single encoder knob on the front to control master out and headphone out?

i.e. if im workin late, can i easily switch that encoder to control only the headphone volume, but then quickly change it so that it controls my monitor volume? is that done from the software or can i do it on the device?
I owned a Fireface 800. That is not an encoder, it is a pot. It is the output control for headphones or monitors. (A typical RME design.) Controlling the outputs via TotalMix is easy, but not as easy as a knob. But for a moment let us imagine that it IS an encoder.... so you use the mouse to access the RME applet to change the state of the encoder, then turn the encoder... how is THAT easier than accessing the applet and dropping the level?

How about something like a faderport to control volumes?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search