The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which headphones to get?? Studio Headphones
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Which headphones to get??

After doing a lot of 'work' in my room I have realized that my bedroom is never going to sound like a professional control room. I have krk monitors but I have leaning towards headphones a lot more lately and noticed an improvement in my mixing. I have been using the audio technica ath-m30 headphones as my main "monitoring system" They sound and feel a bit too cheap and I have always noticed that the bottom end isn't really there in these headphones and I can never tell whats happening down there...

I am considering upgrading to one of the following: KRK KNS 8400, Beyerdynamic DT 770, Sennheiser HD 280 PRO, and really leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II(my fav producer {dirty south} swears by them not only for djing but for producing too).

Basically a headphone that I can feel comfortable mixing, monitoring low end, and yes yes yes even Mastering
Old 13th September 2011
You could factor in some sweet Audio Technica ATH-M50 phones

Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Sony mdr-7506s are really pretty nice methinks...very balanced IMO. Ymmv, biggest thing is to get to know what you end up using.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Audeze LCD2 if you have 1000$ and a good amp.
These headphones are comparable to the best stax that are three times the price.
Regarding bottom end they go straight flat to 5 hz.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
You could factor in some sweet Audio Technica ATH-M50 phones

Yes. I have the ATH-M30 phones... so

i wanted to try somthing different..

still leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II at the moment. Does any1 own these?
Old 14th September 2011
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcan View Post
Audeze LCD2 if you have 1000$ and a good amp.
These headphones are comparable to the best stax that are three times the price.
Regarding bottom end they go straight flat to 5 hz.
Or 700-800 for a used pair.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritzildino View Post
Yes. I have the ATH-M30 phones... so

i wanted to try somthing different..

still leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II at the moment. Does any1 own these?
I own the hd 25-c's. That review tribedescribe posted sums them up pretty well. They're not gonna blow you away but they have good resolution and detail. Apparently they need 25 hours+ burn in to even out and benefit from a cable upgrade and amping but they're low impedance and easily driven.

The Cs come with extra earpads ands a coiled cable, the cable extends to 3m i think whereas the 1 is 1.5m? and some reviews i read complained of the cable being too short and even pulling the cable out. The foam earpads stick to my ears a bit but the soft ear pads are quite comfortable, no issues with tightness.

I got them for mixing and production but general use, they're a good all rounder, virtually indestructable and most of the parts can be replaced. They aint much to look at but i know they're gonna last me for a long time and they do sound good. Oh yeah, check out custom cans for some mods. heh

Fwiw i've got some hd280pros and a big issue for me with them is comfort. They're too big and bulky for long mixing sessions for me and the pads are like ear muffs. Good tracking cans but that's about it imo. Hth.
Old 29th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by commaKaze View Post
Sony mdr-7506s are really pretty nice methinks...very balanced IMO. Ymmv, biggest thing is to get to know what you end up using.
I've been reading some good reviews about this one. I also need some good headphones and I'm strongly considering this one. A con for me is that I'd prefer a detachable cable..

Which model with detachable cable come closest to the MDR7506 regarding all other properties? :p
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear
or the 7509 which I use (similar to 7506 but just better :-)

never used detachable cable ones.... what's the advantage of that? (I'm honestly asking.... not trying to sound sarcastic)
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

I have used most of the models in the OP, and own the DT770s as IMHO they are head and shoulders above the rest.

Beyond that, the HD25 SPii is a pretty good headphone. Not in the same ballpark as the 770 though...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search