The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Out goes the Presonus Firebox...now? Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Out goes the Presonus Firebox...now?

Well I have had the Firebox since 2004...I also own an MPA Gold Preamp.

I want to get rid of the Firebox because I think it's causing some very annoying hum and buzz/ electrical noise in my speakers...so I just want some advice on what to get for a soundcard.

I suppose with the MPA Gold...I have preamps covered there...so I don't need any soundcard with sweet built in pre's...although I suppose I could.

I wouldn't need anymore than 2 mic inputs I suppose.

So...any suggestions...what audio interface would be best?

Are there any around that have usb 3.0?

thanks a lot

Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yeah, had the same experience with the Firebox but with the preamps. Bad noise on them when they were turned up.

The ART MPA Gold seems to get decent reviews here (and I have used one, but skipped the converters), but the A/D converters seem to get sub-par reviews.

Moving up the chain in A/D conversion would be something like an RME Babyface, or up the scale would be an Apogee Rosetta A/D with Firewire out option depending on how much you want to spend.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Have you done a search?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Good deal here:

Stupid Deal of the Day

Get it quick because it may only last a few hours.

USB 2

There are no USB 3's out to my knowledge. Not when I was looking 2 months ago. Tells ya what though, my USB 3 external backup drive is amazing. What an improvement on data speeds.
Old 13th September 2011
Have you seen the MOTU 828 mk3 Hybrid? I like this unit, because it can connect with firewire or USB 2.0. It also has grat converters (the same as RME uses) and the mic pre-amps are good. It also comes with cue mix and with cue mix you can insert effects that come with the Motu before it reaches your recording program. It also has 2 sends to connect some outboard gear.

I use this interface for mixing and its rock solid in Win 7 64bit.
Old 14th September 2011
Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't really need preamps as such...because I will use the ART MPA Gold preamps.

I just need something to interface the ART MPA Gold with my PC.

Something with at least 2 mic inputs and, line outs and headphone out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search