The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me select a Compressor for my vocla chain?! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Help me select a Compressor for my vocla chain?!

So Im going from NTK > GAP 73 > RME FF400
To Sm7b (still keeping the NTK) > GAP 73 > ??? > RME FF400

??? > What Compressor should I ad here (not over $500)

BEFORE YOU START GIVING SUGGESTIONS PLZ READ:
Compressor will be used for tracking Vocals and Vocals ONLY in the style of Rap, Ragamuffin and a bit of singing. Also were I live I have NO chance of demoing the gear so plz dont suggest this.

What Im looking for is something to warm/thicken up my vocals.. help give them that heavy present sound in them mix. Im hoping that the sm7b will help with this also.. but what is a good compressor for my needs that will help me get that pro sounding vocal sound?

So far I have looked at: FMR Pbc-68 - Comp-54 - dbx 160A

FMR seams to get good feedback from the forum it seams to be a good all round compressor.. but I just need it for VOCALS. I have heard that it can warm vocals up quite nicely. But how does it compare to the the Comp-54?
Would the Comp 54 be nicer to have to go along with my GAP-73?
And the dbx 160a seams to be well rated for drums, BUT also a few people seam to rate it for Rap vocals would this be an alternative straightforward compressor that would just add something extra to my Vox?

Appreciate all the help I can get!

Cheers

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

FMR PBC-6a can mold your rap volcas more, so much variation in tweeking fast attack and release...the dbx 160 has a color and sounds good for blues or slower ballads, has a special DBX sound and a little slower responce to fast trasients...Golden age has issues with quality more, FMR is american made...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

FMR PBC-6a or the dbx 160 are both good options. But if i were you, i would sell the GAP pre to expand your budget and buy a Universal Audio la-610 channel strip used on ebay.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Is the Comp-54 not that great for me then?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

What about the Chameleon Labs 7720?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

PBC-6A
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

what about a ART VLA II?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

could someone plz give some advice?
is the Pbc-68 and DBX 160A better then the cheaper ART PRO VAVL II?
Or is there one of these that is more suitebal for my needs/style/combo{Vocal chain}?

plz give me some decent feedback..???
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
What Im looking for is something to warm/thicken up my vocals.. help give them that heavy present sound in them mix.
You just described the PBC-6A
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
Is the Comp-54 not that great for me then?
Dread - I bought and returned TWO of them. On both models the GR needle stuck at random - very annoying. It's got a "dark" sound, which I thought took away from the clarity the Pre73 gave me. I got an FMR RNC instead that I love. Very transparent, but I don't know it that's what you're going for. I'd stay away from the Comp-54. There are issues.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Downsound, Thanx for that.. ok I will scratch the 54 one off my list.

digibiu, So you think the PBC-68 is the way to go?
Im just wondering how does the ART Pro VLA II compare to the PBC-68?
Quite a few people here seam to rate the ART Pro.. but does the PBC-68 have a more superior sound sonicaly to the ART or is it just a different sound..
I would have liked to go for the ART beacuse of its price.. but if the PBC is better sonicaly I will definately jump on that? [Wish I could demo them, unfortunately I cant]

Plz let me know dont want to make the wrong desission?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The ART is a great value for the price. It does what it does well. To me it was more transparent, and sort of a "soft" sounding compressor, not as noticable. The PBC-6A can be transparent, but also has a sound, meaty is the word that comes to mind. You can get some great sounds out of it with the drive and knee knobs. Really is as clean or dirty as you want it to be. I sold my ART about a year ago, and now have two PBC-6A's.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibiu View Post
The ART is a great value for the price. It does what it does well. To me it was more transparent, and sort of a "soft" sounding compressor, not as noticable. The PBC-6A can be transparent, but also has a sound, meaty is the word that comes to mind. You can get some great sounds out of it with the drive and knee knobs. Really is as clean or dirty as you want it to be. I sold my ART about a year ago, and now have two PBC-6A's.

Thanx for that, right now it just comes down to money for me if I could get away with the ART I think I would do so.. I tend to use allot of compression on my vocals.. so maybe the art is not that good then.. kinda like that squashed sound..

But I think what I want to know if there will be any sonical difference from the ART to the PBC.. so will the PBC ad better "quality sound" to my vocal tracking.. or is it just a different sound that I might be able to achive itb with say PSP vintage pluggin?

And also know that the ART[if I decide to go that way] is not a Toy?

And also witch one of these compressors would gel nicely with my other gear in my chain, sm7b, GAP73..???

Is there no comparison shootouts with these 2 compressors for Vocals?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

just checking are there any other compressors out there that would suite my needs {plz read first post} ???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search