The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Another hiss (not hum) thread, i use Studio Projects B1, Behringer MIC & FastTrackPro Single-Channel Preamps
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Another hiss (not hum) thread, i use Studio Projects B1, Behringer MIC & FastTrackPro

My recording setup is Studio Projects B1 (Mic) + Behringer MIC200 (Preamp) + FastTrackPro (Soundcard). Connected with XLR cables. Ableton Live 8.0 on a Win7.

I get a lot of hiss. The hiss increases when i turn more Gain for the preamp.
However, if i take the preamp out of the chain, the hiss is still there.

The mic and preamp are brand new.
I have tried with the same setup with TR cables (unbalanced), still got hiss.
I got the XLR cables (balanced), but hiss is still there.
I have tried increasing FastTrackPro latency to the max and this has no effect.

What can i try?
Do i need to replace the FastTrackPro or the Behringer Preamp?

Does anybody have a good hiss free setup with similar gear?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Self generated hiss (or other noise) is the bane of the low ender's existence. As you have discovered, any gain only amplifies the noise (along with the signal) and makes it worse. I can only suggest turning the gain down as low as possible, and getting the mic as close to the source as possible. Try to get the sound level up at the source and get your needed input levels that way. If you notice that you can sing or play over the noise and only have problems in the quiet places after that, just edit out the places in between where you have only noise. Leave a little room for fade in's and fade outs so there is not an abrupt edit (it makes the noise floor more noticeable when it comes and goes abruptly). Keep the input on your sound card as low as possible as well, since it will also tend to amplify the noise inherent in your signal chain. This is a "making the best of what you have" solution.

I would normally replace the noisy mic first when looking at upgrades, but in your case I would see to the "noisiest" component first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search