The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How well do focusrite saffire pres "stack", are they the same pres on the "octopre"? Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Boy, you really don't take a clue well do you.
Jeez dude. Quit being such a trouble maker. You aren't his dad. You aren't a Mod. Just leave it alone and let him do what he is going to do.

It's not your responsibility.

I always hate people who take the self appointed role of forum cop. I've done my share of it too and we type A's need a chill pill.

I hope this is clue enough.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
I haven't used the 40, I have the 26.

If I were to sell it, or it were to break beyond repair, I would get the 56.

The pres are probably all the same in the saffire units, except for the Liquid ones. I ain't much into emulations, so I am not sure I'd use these, but the i/o on the 56 is pretty hard to beat for the $. I think maybe the only thing that can come close at that price range is the MOTU stuff.

I started all this with a 24 i/o, and sold it. I was having issues with the playback in windows. Worked fine for me on an old g4, but in windows, it would sound great in cuemix, and then sound like 25% of the fidelity was gone on playback, through whatever daw I tried.

Many, many attempts to resolve this, to no avail.

The FR stuff is a little more of a pain to setup, and the latency is not as low as the motu, but it sounds way better to me. If you have a LFAC, this is not an issue. Even without one, like in the case of my little office rig, it is still workable though.

At least what you hear when monitoring is what you get when recorded. The MOTU wasn't doing this for me. Nobody could help, motu, Steinberg, Cakewalk...it was frustrating. I am 100% it was a driver / software thing.

If I had been Mac only with Logic or something, the MOTU would still be here.

j
That's actually good news about your OS.
I'm running windows 7 on an AMD Athlon IIx2 (3.1 Ghz, Dual Core. 8gig of DDR3 RAM)
It sounds similar.

Here's the spec for the 40 pres:

Microphone Inputs
• Dynamic Range (A-Weighted): 109dB
• SNR (A-weighted): -109dB
• Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
• THD+N: 0.001% (measured at 1kHz with a 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Noise: EIN > 125dB (128dB analogue to digital) (measured at 60dB of gain with 150 Ohm termination (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Maximum level (A-weighted): 8dBu at 1%

Line Inputs
• Dynamic Range (A-Weighted): 109dB
• SNR (A-weighted): -109dB
• Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
• THD+N: < 0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input and 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Noise: -90dBu (22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Maximum level (A-weighted): 28.5dBu at 1%

Instrument Inputs
• Frequency Response 20Hz-20KHz +/- 0.1dB
• Maximum Input Level min gain no pad +8dBu
• Maximum Input Level max gain no pad -42dBu
• THD+N, -1dBFS, min gain, no pad < 0.0015%
• SNR 109dB "A"
• DNR 109dB "A"
• Input Impedance > 1MOhm
• X-talk < -100dB
• Adjustable Gain > 50dB
• Pad Attenuation 10dB

Now,

The Specs for the Liquid Saffire 56 read identical.
However, the specs for the octopre read as follows:

Mic Input
• Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
• THD+N: 0.001% (measured at 1kHz with a 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Noise: EIN > 125dB (128dB analogue to digital): measured at ~60dB of gain with 150 Ohm termination (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Mic Gain: +10dB to + 55dB
• Phantom power switched in 4 channel groups on Mic. 1-4 and 5-8
• Maximum input level +16dBu

Line Input
• THD+N: <0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input and 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Noise: -90dBu (22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Line 1-8 Gain: -10dB to +36dB
• Maximum input level +26dBu

Instrument Input
• THD+N: 0.004% (measured with 0dBu input and 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Noise: -87dBu (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Instrument Gain: +10dB to +55dB
• Maximum input level +16dBu

So, it seems rather obvious. They *are* different pres.
I just have to go off of what everyone has been telling me really.
I mean, it might be nice to get a different color for my other 8 by using
the octopre, but on the other hand... I've received a few downvotes for it's quality as compared to the 56 pres.

It might be best to go with the PRO 40 so I know all my pres are the same.
I'll have to think about it.

Anyone else used these units? Any advice to give before I make my decision?
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Good to know, that's one extra upvote for the Saffire PRO 40. I've seriously got to consider getting the PRO 40 to ADAT to the 56 instead of an octopre. It sounds like a logical decision.... although, on the other hand, it might be nice for my other 8 pres to have a slightly different color. (As Newton in Orbit commented).
Well, if color is what you are after, I would look elsewhere though.

Maybe get the 56 (or do you have it already?), and start buying those BLA 312's or something a pair at a time. Maybe the CAPI stuff?

You have to still keep this in perspective though.

Keep in mind none of the pres in the FR stuff are what I'd call outstanding, but they are usuable, and you can make a record with them in a pinch.

It won't likely be a classic sounding album though.heh

Fine for some drum tracks, toms, maybe kick, and as I said the Octopre will work on OH's sometimes, because it's fairly neutral. However, your money tracks like vocals, and if you are doing Rock, gtr and bass should really get a nice discrete transformer coupled mic amp or something. That's just me though.

I think you said you already have a few of these though right?

When I was praising the FR stuff, it was mainly because of the converters, not really the preamps. I just felt like people hated on the Octopre kinda harder than it deserved, so I stuck up for the underdog.

So yeah...the converters.

I feel like the gap has gotten smaller between the moderately expensive units and the lower mid level stuff.

That's not to say that an EMM Labs, Burl, DB, Prism, Benchmark etc, is not leaps better though. I have heard the Benchmarks, and THAT IS in another league from what we have been discussing.

You CAN hear the difference there. Much bigger difference between those than say a FR and an Apogee or Lynx IMHO.

I think the analog circuits in the really high end stuff are just designed better, and no corners are cut. Some run screaming hot, in class a, have horribly inefficient analog circuits that sound freaking incredible.

It costs you, but if I am ever going to upgrade again, the only way to get a very noticeable improvement in my mind, is to go all in and get the really high end stuff.

This "Well...I think it's like 5% better maybe?" stuff is what kills me.

For now, I'll stick with what I have I guess.

Good luck man,
John
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
Jeez dude. Quit being such a trouble maker. You aren't his dad. You aren't a Mod. Just leave it alone and let him do what he is going to do.

It's not your responsibility.

I always hate people who take the self appointed role of forum cop. I've done my share of it too and we type A's need a chill pill.

I hope this is clue enough.
+1
:D
Old 13th September 2011
Whoa...the manual says the octopre has a freq response of 10-200khz.

What's up with that?

Here, I knew I wasn't Tripping.

Check here in this link below to the pdf:
1 db down @ 10 hz
3db down @ 200khz

.002 thd
-128 EIN with 150 ohms source.

This is a pretty BIG difference.
to what you just posted.

That must be if using the lightpipe and not the analog outs or something. Brickwall digital filter?

Either that, or they made two models. If so, no wonder there is such debate on them sucking or not.

Anyway, here are the original specs:

www.focusrite.com/download/600/OctoPre.pdf

john

EDIT:
Hey, are you looking at the MARK II? (MKII). That would explain it.

If you are getting one for preamps, get the early one. I know I just lost all my "GS cred" for saying that...screw it though :0)

EDIT #2:

Yeah, looks like the MKII is using a similar circuit for the pres as the saffires.
The first Octopre uses a discrete transistor (differential?) front end, run into some 5534's, running in class a.

Runs hot as a bastard though, as a result. If you get one, leave a rack space open above it to ventilate.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, if color is what you are after, I would look elsewhere though.

Maybe get the 56 (or do you have it already?), and start buying those BLA 312's or something a pair at a time. Maybe the CAPI stuff?

You have to still keep this in perspective though.

Keep in mind none of the pres in the FR stuff are what I'd call outstanding, but they are usuable, and you can make a record with them in a pinch.

It won't likely be a classic sounding album though.heh

Fine for some drum tracks, toms, maybe kick, and as I said the Octopre will work on OH's sometimes, because it's fairly neutral. However, your money tracks like vocals, and if you are doing Rock, gtr and bass should really get a nice discrete transformer coupled mic amp or something. That's just me though.

I think you said you already have a few of these though right?

When I was praising the FR stuff, it was mainly because of the converters, not really the preamps. I just felt like people hated on the Octopre kinda harder than it deserved, so I stuck up for the underdog.

So yeah...the converters.

I feel like the gap has gotten smaller between the moderately expensive units and the lower mid level stuff.

That's not to say that an EMM Labs, Burl, DB, Prism, Benchmark etc, is not leaps better though. I have heard the Benchmarks, and THAT IS in another league from what we have been discussing.

You CAN hear the difference there. Much bigger difference between those than say a FR and an Apogee or Lynx IMHO.

I think the analog circuits in the really high end stuff are just designed better, and no corners are cut. Some run screaming hot, in class a, have horribly inefficient analog circuits that sound freaking incredible.

It costs you, but if I am ever going to upgrade again, the only way to get a very noticeable improvement in my mind, is to go all in and get the really high end stuff.

This "Well...I think it's like 5% better maybe?" stuff is what kills me.

For now, I'll stick with what I have I guess.

Good luck man,
John
Precisely, I've already got a whole lot of other colors with my current list:
-LaChapell 583e
-Robbie Blue
-API 512c's
-Telefunken stereo tube remake

And right again, perhaps "color" was a bad word to use when referring to the focusrite 56 pres. I was really just trying to say it might be nice to have different sounding pres than the 56. The more I think about it, the more I want to go with the PRO 40 instead of the octopre. After all, if it's going to be my workhorse set of pres, they'd better all be identical in performance.

So yea, the focusrite's would mainly be my workhorse during bedtracks.... and well, you've said that's what they seem to do the job for. In the end, it would be my main A/D and D/A conversion too, so I really feel as if the conversion in the units will bring together my whole mobile rig.

Check this:
Kik in - API 512c
Kik out - API 512c
Snare Top - LaChappel
Snare Bottom - Robbie Blue
Hi Tom - Focusrite Liquid Pre set to (V72)
M Tom - Telefunken Tube Remake
Lo Tom - Telefunken Tube Remake
OH's - Focusrite Saffires
Room Mikes - Focusrite Saffires
Floor Mikes - Focusrite Saffires
Smash Mike - Focusrite Liquid Pre (to experiment with emus/mikes for smash mikes)
Hi Hat & Ride - Focusrite Saffires

This would all get into the box via the focusrite firewire A/D and I could use it to monitor my playback during mixdown when I use my analog Buzz Audio/Elysia comps & LaChapell EQ.

I plan to do my final sums with VCC Slate/Satson plugs along side an analog Xpressor 500 on the stereo buss.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:

What's up with that?

1 db down @ 10 hz
3db down @ 200khz

.002 thd

to what you just posted.

That must be if using the lightpipe and not the analog outs or something. Brickwall digital filter?

Either that, or they made two models. If so, no wonder there is such debate on them sucking or not.

john
Ahh, oh my, right!
I've been referring to the Octopre MkII this whole time...
I forgot they had an original.

So it would seem the MkII has much better performing preamps than it's predecessor?

That being said, it still looks like the pres on an octopre mkII are different than the rest of the Saffire line. I wonder if this is so customers can get a slightly different sounding pre for their rigs and transfer via ADAT only?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
You're welcome to disagree with me. Didn't I say "fundamental lack of understanding" at some point? I'm sure I did. So what is 50 x a 1dB boost @ 1kHz?

I was obviously (?) exaggerating the problem. Not really semantics.

Science is less forgiving however.

Presumably you have a DAW? Just try it. It's the same silly theory easily proven wrong.

If i have done my maths right, its only about 11dB increase at 1khz.

1dB = 26% power increase

50x26% is an increase of 1300%

10log(13)=11.1394.

Last edited by _cake; 13th September 2011 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: speeling
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:

What's up with that?

1 db down @ 10 hz
3db down @ 200khz

.002 thd

to what you just posted.

john

EDIT:

If you are getting one for preamps, get the early one. I know I just lost all my "GS cred" for saying that...screw it though :0)
Get the early make you say?
But everyone I talk to says the early make was the worse quality of the two?

The new Octopre is ADAT interface only, so it can only hook up to one of their flagships (the liquid saffire 56, some other saffire unit, or some other brand's interface that receives ADAT)
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cake View Post
haha, "only".
I love it.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
If i have done my maths right, its only about 11dB* increase at 1khz.

1dB = 26% power increase

10log(13)=11.1394.
I should add a disclaimer...

*this of course dependant on the intial power at 1khz across all tracks being the same. But in a band situation or real-life scenario, this will vary, in some cases it could be more, others less, ie YMMV
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Focusrite's entry into the budget preamp market has always perplexed me... why? Why do you drag a good name through the mud (and the plastic, and the shrill brittleness)?
Finally somebody on here who agrees with me.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANTARAVE View Post
Finally somebody on here who agrees with me.
RANTARAVE,

Have you used the saffire line?
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Get the early make you say?
But everyone I talk to says the early make was the worse quality of the two?

The new Octopre is ADAT interface only, so it can only hook up to one of their flagships (the liquid saffire 56, some other saffire unit, or some other brand's interface that receives ADAT)

@ Newblood:

Sigh...

Yeah, I know.

That's exactly what I was saying in my other post. Take it for what it is, try them out. Listen to each for yourself. Really listen though, and try not to get swayed by what people are saying on these forums.

Just because they ain't cool to own, doesn't really mean they ain't cool.

Here's my last post on this, as it should probably really be in the low end theory forum anyway. I have posted on here about this before ....starting to feel like Mr. Focusrite Platinum defender or something...jeez.

Beginning to feel like a jackass...and in public to boot because of the general opinion around here, but this is my view, and I don't really care.

You have to look back at the last decade though, to see why people don't like them:

Everybody slammed the octopre when it came out. Not at first, but after a lot got into circulation. At first the reviews and praise from owners was really positive. There wasn't an issue. Many thought it was a better take on the original Digimax.

They were the same as the pres in the Control 24 etc too, as AVID (Digidesign) was now a sister company and distributor of Focusrite. Or something like that. Soon, everybody had them ... so therefore they sucked. Once everyone has something, it ain't cool to own anymore right?

Like I said, lots of people that were making their first foray into recording bought these around 2002-3 or so. I mean TONS. It was during a time of a HUGE explosion for home recording back then, when cheap PC's all of the sudden got fast enough to do some real multitrack work on.

I mean, you could do it before of course (been doingit since the mid 90's), but this really was the first generation of PC's that really caught up, and could handle the workload.

So, you get PTLE galore. Control 24's galore. 002's galore, w/ octopres hanging outta 'em. It was a way to get more inputs..and after all, it was Focusrite right? I mean Rupert Neve worked there right?

You didn't any longer need a mac, or rather mac wasn't the only game in town anymore.

So then...

Lots of REALLY BAD recordings were made with these things, and then posted on the internet. Of course, these beginners didn't want to think that it was their lack of skillset, so it musta been that crappy Octopre right?

They then go and purchase something very expensive, they make recordings with that for a year, and have no excuses now for getting bad sound. All the while, keep in mind they are getting better at recording in general too.

They gain experience, make better recordings, go back and listen to the old octopre recordings, and say yup ... that confirms it ..."Damn that octopre sucked a*s!!!!"

Of course it couldn't have been that they themselves just sucked back then right? Nobody wants to really see that reality anyway. Easier to blame your gear. I submit that if you take a 30 year recording vet and give him 16 channels of Octopre, they would hand you a good record.

Also, when it came out, many focusrite red and isa owners didn't take too kindly to FR releasing a pretty well performing product for so little $. They felt it cheapened the name, and slammed the thing whenever it was brought up in internet forums etc. To them of course, you didn't have a real Focusrite if it was a Platinum series. You had a home recording toy.

It screwed Focusrite's name so badly, that they dropped the "Platinum" from the next generation of Octopre, trying to shake off the public's perception of them.

Remember a lot of the same stuff was said about things like the Presonus M80 etc. Now you have guys saying they are pretty good. Why? Because they are pretty good. Certainly better than a lot oif 80's console mic amps.

OK, rant over \

Anyway, I get you on the adat i/o thing, however, I still think the first one has better preamps. To each his own.

Also, look at the price difference between the two. The original has a subjectively "better" circuit, and was more expensive. The limiter blew, I never used it. The MARK II = similar to a nice mid level class a/b IC mic preamp from a mid level console.

Sounds ok works. The original however, stepped it up a notch though. Totally different circuit, with higher performance. Whether this sounds better to you ...who knows.

Again, I am not claiming these are John Hardys or something, just that they are not as bad as originally made out to be.

Your opinion may vary.

I don't care either way, just trying to help.

IMO, you can get them for way less than they are worth now.

Good luck in your search, and sorry for the long post.

Insomnia
john
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
and if the pres found in the "octopre" are the same pres in the Saffire? (save the 2 liquid pres, of course)
The Saffire pres are based on the old "Green" series Focusrite pres, the Octopre mic amps are "Platinum" series, so no, they are not the same.

FWIW I think the Saffire pres are better than the Platinum pres.

I can't comment on the 'stacking' as I simply never recorded *that much stuff* when I owned a couple of 1st-gen Saffires.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
The Saffire pres are based on the old "Green" series Focusrite pres, the Octopre mic amps are "Platinum" series, so no, they are not the same.

FWIW I think the Saffire pres are better than the Platinum pres.

I can't comment on the 'stacking' as I simply never recorded *that much stuff* when I owned a couple of 1st-gen Saffires.
Awesome, thanks for dropping by whitecat.

Yea, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion in other threads.... however, I'm rather confused about the specifications between the old octopre preamps, and the new one. Check out this quote from another thread:

"Whoa...the manual says the octopre has a freq response of 10-200khz.

What's up with that?

1 db down @ 10 hz
3db down @ 200khz

.002 thd

to what you just posted.

john

EDIT:

EDIT #2:

Yeah, looks like the MKII is using a similar circuit for the pres as the saffires.
The first Octopre uses a discrete transistor (differential?) front end, run into some 5534's, running in class a.

Runs hot as a bastard though, as a result. If you get one, leave a rack space open above it to ventilate."
Old 13th September 2011
Well, to be blunt, my ears can't hear numbers on a page... the specs don't bother me in the slightest, and sometimes they just amount to hype. Having owned a Saffire Pro 24 and an Octopre LE in the past, and having used the original Octopre on a couple recordings once, I simply think that the Saffire sounded better. There are a lot of other factors at work obviously when it comes to comparison, but that's what I recall.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Well, to be blunt, my ears can't hear numbers on a page... the specs don't bother me in the slightest, and sometimes they just amount to hype. Having owned a Saffire Pro 24 and an Octopre LE in the past, and having used the original Octopre on a couple recordings once, I simply think that the Saffire sounded better. There are a lot of other factors at work obviously when it comes to comparison, but that's what I recall.
Awesome whitecat, I really appreciate your input.
I always appreciate ears that have heard a sound many times, more than numbers on a page.

You're not the first engineer who has owned the original octopre and the new Saffire line that has made that same comment. (About the saffire pres being better than the original octopre).

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the PRO 40 though, so I can have some firewire on the back of my backup pres too (that way I can send one each to separate overdub sessions).

(the new octopre mkII only has ADAT out, but the PRO 40 has a firewire out as well).
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

1dB = 26% power increase

10log(13)=11.1394.
I'm sure your maths is correct. The theory is wrong though.

If you boost 1kHz on 50 different tracks by 1dB, the increase of 1kHz at the mix-buss is.........1dB and can be easily countered by a 1 dB reduction at the mix buss.

Try it in your DAW.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was really hoping this thread would not make it to to top again.

I am sincerely sorry for my previous posts. I have never used the gear in question. I have posted in 2 forums at once before. I am a complete hypocrite, showing a total lack of respect for anyone.

I know posting drunk is no excuse but for some reason I felt the need to single out this post and become commander of the universe.

I have been a member for 8 years and have never been this irresponsible. I seldom post at all, and I stay away from alcohol for a good reason.

I wanted to delete my rants but will leave them as a reminder. I apologize for wasting your time.

Feel free to flame away.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Its all good. We're all engineers... **** gets passionate and hectic. Heh. Just try to stay on topic to meet new peeps in a good light. Thanks for the apology, I'll do my best to learn forum ettiquette around here.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I am sincerely sorry for my previous posts. I have never used the gear in question. I have posted in 2 forums at once before. I am a complete hypocrite, showing a total lack of respect for anyone.

I know posting drunk is no excuse but for some reason I felt the need to single out this post and become commander of the universe.

I have been a member for 8 years and have never been this irresponsible. I seldom post at all, and I stay away from alcohol for a good reason.

I wanted to delete my rants but will leave them as a reminder. I apologize for wasting your time.

Feel free to flame away.
Blo*dy hell!!!! I have been reading GS for years and have never seen anything like it. Usually a virtual scrap just dies out but an apology? Bravo! I'm impressed.

Ok. Back to watching this thread play out as I too am considering buying a Saffire. Not too interested in the Pres as I'm quite contented with the ones I have and owned a Liquid Mix that I was slightly disappointed by, though that was more driver related than sound quality, anyway, outputs and conversion seem very attractive.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mic pre stacking is REAL!!!!

Here's a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
How well do focusrite saffire pres &quot;stack&quot;, are they the same pres on the &quot;octopre&quot;?-dscf0073.jpg  
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
Mic pre stacking is REAL!!!!

Here's a picture:
lolz.
Amazing!

I placed my order, and we all had fun getting into it.
What a sweet thread, thanks everyone!

I'll post again when I get my new rig in the mail (3-4weeks time)
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Feel free to flame away.
Holy ****e!

You've got balls to come forth and apologize, and the op is a stand up for giving the pass...

Applause to both of you!

Oh, and judging by the pic, stacking pres can be a bit of a mess. I bet it sounds fantastic, but the dude behind the stack looks worried. Maybe he's afraid it might all fall over. Dho!

PS - I'm bidding on a saffire pro 10 right now for 180$. Fingers crossed.
I'm going to chain it with my grace lunatec via spdif, for my own two 'liquid channels'.
Glad to hear that the consensus on the saffire pres seems positive.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's refreashing to see this...I seen rude post and no one has ever apologized as i remember on any board....your A+ for Manning up...great post...
Quote:

Feel free to flame away.
Old 21st September 2011
I thought the pres were disengaged when going in the 1/4" input. I think the pres on my Saffire are great. I've used external pres as well and haven't noticed any contribution to the sound (positive or negative) via the Focusrite's pres
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
I'm sure your maths is correct. The theory is wrong though.

If you boost 1kHz on 50 different tracks by 1dB, the increase of 1kHz at the mix-buss is.........1dB and can be easily countered by a 1 dB reduction at the mix buss.

Try it in your DAW.
Will try it, curious now.............
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

So, on a similar theme, does anyone have any thoughts on how the pre's in a Saffire stack up against the pre's in an ISA One?
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol_Jonesey View Post
So, on a similar theme, does anyone have any thoughts on how the pre's in a Saffire stack up against the pre's in an ISA One?
The ISA One is way better. More headroom, the DI is better than the Saffire "super-channels," there's more available gain (pretty much 'all-clean') and of course the selectable impedance is just icing.

If you get the recently-discontinued ISA One Digital or buy the ADC board separately then you also get a better converter.

All in all the Saffire is "pretty good value" in terms of sonics vs number of channels vs features vs price, but the ISA One is a step up IMO on all fronts, except for channel count. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search