The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do you need converters for synths? Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Why do you need converters for synths?

I have an analog Moog Little Phatty with a digital Eventide Space reverb added to.

Why do you need converters honestly? What will it do to my sound?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Converters will allow you to interface analog and digital gear/signals together.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Converters
Pre-amps
Interfaces
DIs

What the hell do I get?! Is there an interface I can get that has an awesome pre-amp in it under 1k?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post
Converters
Pre-amps
Interfaces
DIs

What the hell do I get?! Is there an interface I can get that has an awesome pre-amp in it under 1k?
Probably not 'awesome', considering an interface will have all of those features you listed, and most nicer pre's are closer to that range themselves. But, I got an SSL alpha channel and an m-audio profire 610 for under 1k total, I'm happy with that for now.

-Danny
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an analog Moog Little Phatty with a digital Eventide Space reverb added to.

Why do you need converters honestly? What will it do to my sound?

Why are you asking? What are you trying to do? For example: if you're not planning on recording your synths then I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Why are you asking? What are you trying to do? For example: if you're not planning on recording your synths then I wouldn't worry about it.
Well of course i'm planning to record my synths, I have digital and analog synths and was wondering (in newbie terms) what a converter will do for me and why or why not I should get one?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

A converter converts an analog signal to digital, or the opposite. If you plan to record your Moog (analog) to a computer (digital), the signal needs to be converted. You need a converter for your computer (digital) to play through speakers (analog). That's why people have interfaces. It offers you a A/D converter for recording and a D/A converter for playback. This is at the simplest level, many interfaces do more than that.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

So if I have an interface I wont need all that right? I'm in the market for a good interface right now. Have two digitals and two analog synths (pretty much all I use, no mics) all which have MIDI, and was wondering what I should get in the $1000 range?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So if I have an interface I wont need all that right? I'm in the market for a good interface right now.
Correct. An interface has converters built in. There are stand alone converters as well but they usually only benefit you as an add on to an interface. An interface would be the way to go for you right now.

Quote:
Have two digitals and two analog synths (pretty much all I use, no mics) all which have MIDI, and was wondering what I should get in the $1000 range?
You first need to figure out how many inputs/outputs you need from your interface. In that price range, you have many options. Some people only need 2 channels of inputs and outputs (basically stereo in, stereo out). If you are recording multiple devices at the same time, you obviously need more than that. That seems like that would be your biggest consideration.

If you have a mixer or a patchbay, you can get by with less input channels if you are not recording things at the same time. I feel like more is better though, just incase.

Outside of that, you likely need MIDI. That pretty much standard on most interfaces. Most interfaces offer 1 digital (SPDIF) input/output that is stereo. I don't know why then never seem to offer more. You will either have to swap cables, or record your digital synths through analog inputs by using their audio outs.

You also have issues like expandability. Many large interfaces may only offer 8 analog ins, 8 analog outs and stereo digital ins, making it have 10 total inputs. But, many interfaces allow you to add either stand alone converters or chain another interface using ADAT. My interface (Profire 2626) only has 10 ins and outs but is upgradeable to 26 ins and outs.

I can't offer you advice on what to get until you have a good understanding of how many channels you need.

If this is confusing, think about how many jacks you need to hook your cables into.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

if you're using a mac get a motu ultralite mk3

or an RME

or something by Apogee

do not get m-audio
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmith View Post
if you're using a mac get a motu ultralite mk3

or an RME

or something by Apogee

do not get m-audio
I disagree about M-Audio. I will not compare it to Apogee or RME but I will say it's on par or better than the Motu Ultralite.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search