The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Expanding the ProFire 2626 Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Expanding the ProFire 2626

Hey all,

I'd like to expand my studio set-up with more mic-pres. In the future I'd like to be able to record bands 16 track instead of 8. At this point I use the ProFire 2626 as my audio interface. People say its AD/DA converters are pretty good. I wouldn't know, I never had the chance to compare that much. I owned a Presonus Firestudio previous to the ProFire with which I had many problems. I thought the pres of the Firestudio sounded better, more high end as the ProFire.

So actually, if the converters of the ProFire are that great, I'd like to keep it as my main interface and expand it with 8 better sounding pres. My budget is around € 1000.

What would you recommend???
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Have you done a search?

Look around for preamps with ADAT outputs. There aren't that many of them a they should all have well-documented reviews and opinions.

Good luck.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

I am doing a search, but am hoping to hear some experiences from other 2626 users who've done some expansion on this forum
Old 12th September 2011

the focusrite octopre with dynamics gives you 8 D-A as well as 8 pres and A-D

I don't know about the quality, but its the only unit I know of that has D-A, should you want that..

matt
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

OK thanks!

Right now I'm looking at 3 options:

1. Focusrite Octopre
2. Presonus Digimax D8
3. RME Octamic

Does anyone have any experience with these devices or did any comparison? I'm mostly interested in the sound of the preamps. The preamps of the Profire 2626 is a bit dull, I'm looking for some more crispiness.
Old 14th September 2011

The mackie onyx are quite good for the money.

Only the octopre WITH dynamics has d-a.

Matt
From my iPhone
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could add another 2626. The Behringer ADA8000 is another popular adat converter with preamps.
Old 15th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
You could add another 2626.
Yes I'd consider this. There's a lot to be said for having a lot of the same preamps/converters. Although you did say you wanted something different..

matt
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

I used a Profire 2626 for about 2 years. I actually am fairly impressed with the pres in it. With that being said I don't use them much because I have other outboard pre-amps I prefer. I think there is a mic/pre combination that can make at least one source shine, So I would never just ignore the fact that they are there. With that being said I do go ADAT Lightpipe out of a Focusrite Octo Pre- MKII, back into my Profire 2626. I prefer these pres for a lot of my drums even my kick. I usually use my GAP PRE 73 on Snare Drums (Occasionally I use my Focusrite depending on the snare) and Great River ME- 1NV's on my overheads which is a constant. My suggestion would be the Octo Pre because I just love the thing for the buck. I've hear good things about Black Lion Audio's mod of the Profire 2626... I have no affiliation with them, nor do I own any mods/products of theirs..... Could be an option I just follow them on facebook and read what people write.

Good Luck with your choice

(P.S. Don't forget on the the Focusrite...... lifesaver when recording drums)
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for sharing
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Check out the Digimax FS. Great unit! Very clean pres, plenty of gain, very reliable.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have 3 profire 2626's, 2 chained together but for main use I patch in my lunchbox which has neve and API pres. You can buy a lunchbox and one of thees styles for under that amount especially second hand. That way your moving straight to high end and have more room to grow
Old 11th November 2011
UA4110 vs stock Profire2626 pres

I use the profire 2626 with a universal audio 4110 4ch preamp. I got the 4110 for about $1800 because guitar center gave me a 15% discount on it used. I would say it made a huge difference. I did a quick and dirty test where I plugged an NT1a into a profire preamp, and another NT1a into a UA preamp. I used a sine wave and adjusted the gain on each unit till they were just about the same dB in Logic. I bounced each one without any plugins or panning.

UA4410 vs PF2626 (PF on acoustic).mp3
UA4410 vs PF2626 (UA on acoustic).mp3

the UA is alot more crisp and less muddy. I've never done a side by side test like this so if any experts have advice on how to make it more accurate or scientific let me know. I am concerned I ran way to much input gain in the UA so I don't know if that is going to have any negative effects on the comparison. The room I did this in is mostly untreated, the results might have been better downstairs where there is OC703 and rockwool out the yang.
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear
audient asp008 with adat card?

why do you need 16 channels?
Old 14th November 2011
Gear Nut

Got hold of the Focusrite Octopre and am very pleased with it so far. Acoustic guitar recordings never sounded that crisp.

Am glad heh
Old 14th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaas View Post
OK thanks!

Right now I'm looking at 3 options:

1. Focusrite Octopre
2. Presonus Digimax D8
3. RME Octamic

Does anyone have any experience with these devices or did any comparison? I'm mostly interested in the sound of the preamps. The preamps of the Profire 2626 is a bit dull, I'm looking for some more crispiness.
also consider the
ART TUBE OPTO 8
i use this with my PF2626 and am pleased with it.
I have not had any chance to test it against your list above.
Old 15th November 2011
You should do what I did and buy a used apogee ensemble to go along with your 2626! It will improve your clock and ad/da and also give your 4 really good preamps. No its not 8 preamps but you can add 4 more when needed. Since both units run in stand alone you can choose which one to use as your maine interface. The preamps in apogee are musical and much better than anything mentioned so far, in my experience.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

I use a Profire 2626 with (2) M-Audio Octane's. They're supposed to be the exact same mic pres that are in the Profire 2626...but I swear I can hear a difference, with the Octane being just ever so slightly nicer to my ear. I love the sound, although, if and when I get some extra cash, I do plan to get a neve and an API, even a CraneSong, just for different flavors...but that's WAY in the future. What I have already sounds way better than most of the songs I record deserve! :D
Old 15th June 2015
Here for the gear

I know this post is older but I just got an Audient ASP880 to expand off my pro fire 2626. can someone help me figure out how to connect the two properly? I want to use all 16 inputs at the same time.
thanks
Old 15th June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical mindz View Post
I know this post is older but I just got an Audient ASP880 to expand off my pro fire 2626. can someone help me figure out how to connect the two properly? I want to use all 16 inputs at the same time.
thanks
Adat out of the Audient, to adat in of the Profire. One adat cable for sample rates up to 48khz, 2 adat cables for sample rates 49 -> 96 Khz

Look in the M-Audio software to route the signals.

matt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search