The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adding a headphone-out option to a DAC that only has XLR-Outputs Monitor Controllers
Old 12th September 2011
  #1
Gear Addict
 
kesslerjesus's Avatar
 

Adding a headphone-out option to a DAC that only has XLR-Outputs

I'm currently using DAC that only has 1 set of left and right XLR outputs. Now I'm trying to find the best way to utilize those outputs so that I can listen to playback through headphones.

Basically, I want a method of linking the left and right XLR outputs of my DAC and end up with a 1/4" TRS FEMALE end. This seems straightforward enough, but I'm trying not to use Volume controllers like the SM Patch or the Mackie Big Knob, as I am trying to preserve the original sound signature of my DAC.

Are XLR to RCA cables, and an RCA to TRS Female end my only option?
Old 12th September 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
Are XLR to RCA cables, and an RCA to TRS Female end my only option?

Another choice might be something like the RME Suzy or ADesigns ATTY stereo, but the passive volume controls will change the sound somewhat.
Old 12th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
I'm currently using DAC that only has 1 set of left and right XLR outputs. Now I'm trying to find the best way to utilize those outputs so that I can listen to playback through headphones.

Basically, I want a method of linking the left and right XLR outputs of my DAC and end up with a 1/4" TRS FEMALE end. This seems straightforward enough, but I'm trying not to use Volume controllers like the SM Patch or the Mackie Big Knob, as I am trying to preserve the original sound signature of my DAC.

Are XLR to RCA cables, and an RCA to TRS Female end my only option?
Also you can consider getting some form of headphone amp with a stereo pair line in/out plus the headphone outputs..Send the line outputs to your speakers and then use the headphone outputs to listen..( you can get various numbers of headphone outs depending on your needs)...Good luck
Old 12th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
I'm currently using DAC that only has 1 set of left and right XLR outputs. Now I'm trying to find the best way to utilize those outputs so that I can listen to playback through headphones.

Basically, I want a method of linking the left and right XLR outputs of my DAC and end up with a 1/4" TRS FEMALE end. This seems straightforward enough, but I'm trying not to use Volume controllers like the SM Patch or the Mackie Big Knob, as I am trying to preserve the original sound signature of my DAC.

Are XLR to RCA cables, and an RCA to TRS Female end my only option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Also you can consider getting some form of headphone amp ...
I wouldn't ask him to "consider it" as it seems like the most obvious solution. More like "do it"

The M-Patch and Big Knob have built-in headphone amps, FYI, so they can be considered a solution to your issue.
Old 12th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 

" I am trying to preserve the original sound signature of my DAC." this doesn't match with 'get a Big Knob'. There are active solutions that do, but they aren't very cheap.
Old 13th September 2011
  #6
Gear Head
 

Expect to drop hundreds of dollars to get a headphone driver that doesn't color the sound, if you use low impedance low power headphones the line level may drive them and all you would need is a balanced xlr to stereo 1/4" wye cable.
Old 13th September 2011
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Could just use an XLR to 1/4" TS and then connect an insert cable to that.
Old 14th September 2011
  #8
Gear Addict
 
kesslerjesus's Avatar
 

Thanks for the replies. I just spoke with someone who was in the same situation and will probably end up purchasing a coleman m3.

I tried the other monitor volume attenuator before, but cheap build quality and sound coloring is not what I'm after.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump