The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old Behringer Autocom MDX1200 same circuitry as DBX 160 ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old Behringer Autocom MDX1200 same circuitry as DBX 160 ?

Was reading and doing a little research and I've read on here that an old Autocom MDX1200 is a German made Behringer peice and is very similar to a DBX 160(x)

Any truth in this ?

I just happen to have one in the backroom from like 10 years ago..lol

Thanks in advance heh
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not sure about the 1200, but the 1000 was based on the dbx160 and was not made in china. It's also the case that dbx licensed behringer to design the 1000 after their 160 comp, so it was a legit copy.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks TurboJet !

After a second look, it appears that my MDX1200 is made in China

...I just glanced real quick at the back and on the bottom I saw Germany before..lol

Dammit !
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
FWIW, I owned the MDX-1000 for years ( bought it new and it worked and never gave any problems..! Just sold it rcently) .. I thought it was a good sounding compressor for the money..Definatey better sounding/better made than Berry's newer offerings......
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Not sure about the 1200, but the 1000 was based on the dbx160 and was not made in china. It's also the case that dbx licensed behringer to design the 1000 after their 160 comp, so it was a legit copy.
Interesting... this is the first time that I have heard of Behringer licensing anything, in the old days they usually just stole the design.

Anyway, the DBX 160X went through many revisions. I worked for CB,I and we had racks of the things. Whenever the guys had one open in the shop it was always an adventure. Circuit boards made in at least two countries that i recall off-hand, different components, modified boards, missing components, and with jumpers installed to connect traces..... and they all sounded like a 160x. Would they spec identially? I don't know. But in practical application for live sound, there was no noticeable difference.

I didn't try out the behringer, but at the time there were several other companies doing the same thing, and you could pull the card from one and drop it into the next's chasis and often all the pots and switches lined up with the milled holes, or maybe one was off slightly but they were clearly copies. None of these off-brand compressors sounded like the 160X, likely because of a parts quality issue, maybe because of the main board.... one of the aspects of the cheaper main boards was poor grounding. basically, these things were noisy and gritty sounding.
Old 12th September 2011
I'd suggest test-driving the Behringer compressor that you have and see if it works well for you; I bought an MDX 2200 compressor from a local guy for $30, figuring that if it was too noisy for critical use, I could donate it to a small club for their live rig (I mean, come on...$30?).

And I've used it a bunch of times and I've been pleasantly surprised! It's a nice little compressor!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search