The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA LA-610 or Summit 2ba-221 and TLA-50 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

UA LA-610 or Summit 2ba-221 and TLA-50

So Im about to buy a used pre or channel strip, and I think that I have gotten it down to the UA LA-610 or Summit 2ba-221 and TLA-50. Anyone have any opinions on which way I should go? I will mostly be using it for vocals and bass DI. Right now, I have a SM7B, Fathead II, and a Blue Baby Bottle. I anticipate using the SM7b for the most part with this pre/channel strip. Also, If anybody has any other options for me to consider in the $900 used neighborhood, bring it.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Hey Hey, What do Ya'll Say?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

The sm7b as you know is a low output mic and may not work very well on softer sources with at least the UA 610 preamp...I use the Triton Fethead to boost the sm7a using tube pres...I'd buy the UA 610 since i have the ua 710 already...also I use it on the Groove Tubes Brick preamp, the Brick has just 55db of gain...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalcracker View Post
So Im about to buy a used pre or channel strip, and I think that I have gotten it down to the UA LA-610 or Summit 2ba-221 and TLA-50. Anyone have any opinions on which way I should go? I will mostly be using it for vocals and bass DI. Right now, I have a SM7B, Fathead II, and a Blue Baby Bottle. I anticipate using the SM7b for the most part with this pre/channel strip. Also, If anybody has any other options for me to consider in the $900 used neighborhood, bring it.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

...use an LA610 and the Sm7 all day...Royer 121, too...Sm81...stop me when I get to a high output mic.

Maybe this has to do with the extra stage on the compressor output...as I've not used other 610 variations...but, honestly neither of the first two are ever all the way up. And I have 12at7s, which dropped the output of the unit noticeably.

Anyway, I think the Sm7+LA610 is a marriage made in heaven. Never used the other one.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the responses guys. So I guess that the sm7b will work well with the LA-610 and that will be the most used setup for me, but I do have a Blue Baby Bottle, that is considered to be high output. I believe that I have read that the 610 may have issues with headroom, it that correct?

Would love to hear from someone with experience with both the UA and the Summit. Also, any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

It has problems with people who are used to a single gain stage in a preamp. I've use Inntertube87 and M149, both of which almost output line level.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
I'm not sure what headroom issues there are with the LA-610 MkII. I've had the MkII model for about a year and I don't get any. If somebody were to tell me what numbers they had on the preamp Gain & Level, and Compressor Peak Reduction and Gain, then I could try it. They might be referring to the older LA-610 because I think I read that the MkII has more headroom. So it might just be case of the internet echo chamber.

I did change the preamp tubes on my LA-610 and I think it's a little smoother. That's a worthy experiment you could try, but that's true for the Summit gear too.

For vocals and bass DI it's a good choice. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
I'm not sure what headroom issues there are with the LA-610 MkII. I've had the MkII model for about a year and I don't get any. If somebody were to tell me what numbers they had on the preamp Gain & Level, and Compressor Peak Reduction and Gain, then I could try it. They might be referring to the older LA-610 because I think I read that the MkII has more headroom. So it might just be case of the internet echo chamber.
I couldn't agree more. I use the LA-610 frequently with both the SM7 and MXL Genesis. I couldn't love it more. The only time I've ever had anything distort was when I had the input or output gains accidentally knocked and it kicked the levels way up. The potentiometers are so damn smooth/loose on the LA-610...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Another happy LA610 user here. I tracked some mellow male vox with a SM7b with it a few days ago, and was very pleased with the results. Plenty of gain for my needs.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's the echo chamber. Like when I recommend a Royer121 for amps...and someone's got to say you need a Preamp with 60db of gain to use a ribbon...which is true if you're recording a gnat farting from across the room. A guitar amp...I don't even end up with my Millenias on 9 o'clock!

I had issues with distortion when I got mine...I read the manual...believed it...then talk to a local guy who I know uses the sm7b 610 combo...he told me his starting point is usually +10 on the small knob and 5 or 6 on the big knob. Which would, according to the manual, yeild the most distorted sound. It doesn't. On my unit it's reversed from the manual. Want it to fizz the transients, you back down the little knob and boost up the big knob.

Anyway...it's a solid combo, IME. And about the best bass and EP DI I've used.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks again for the input guys... Looks like I'm in the market for a LA-610, and payday's tomorrow
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Summit is much better buy for the money.

You can run mic and line simultaneously.

More transparent than UA = More SM7 vibe. Which is a good thing.

Use the FATHEAD as a room mic up high.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm always surprised that the tla-50 doesn't get as much love as it should. I A/B'd it against the tla-100, and they were damn near equal sounding on vox, bass, and 'lectric guitar.

- Jim
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

Hmmm right now I'm having much lust for my UA6176, which AFAIK is a 610 and 1176 channel strip style. I also have the Summit 2ba racked with a TLA-50. I have def been in lust with the Summit chain in the past but there something a bit smoother and more "tube" about the 6176. The Summit is one of those that may eventually leave the ranch, but you know how fickle we slutz can be...love 'em, leave 'em and love 'em again.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
La-610 user hear. I got #50 something. Anyway it can be used with high output mics. I have a Shure Mic Pad that I use for super hot( near line level)mics. This allows me to not use the input on the La-610 at - settings. It also makes sure I don't clip the front end on Peaks. there are 3 gains controls on the LA610 : Small input, Level or output gain of the Pre, and last the make up of the compressor. I find the Make up on the Compressor very quiet on my unit, So I get alot of the gain there. If I use the comp i set it up for gentle peak control and it does this very well! In this setting the tone is Vintage/Modern but at the same time not overly saturated. In fact I would guess this is one of the cleaner UA sounds available compared to the original and the desktop unit. Also The 6176 is more a classic box to me.

Or you can go the other way and over drive the front end , push the comp more and back down the makeup gain and you'll get the sound the unit has a bad rep for unless you got the gain staging just right.

Try this guys who don't like la-610's. Instead of trying to get the whole sound with this unit, run it into a second compressor (1176, distressor). Let the La-610 comp just kiss the slightest peak a little and let the 1176 control the body and get back to me on how it sucks.

Jazztone
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Head

Just an update: I got the La-610 Mark II a couple of weeks ago, and so far I love it. I really understand now what people say about a good channel strip bringing things to the front of the mix. I haven't tried a ton of different settings, since the first day, b/c I found a great setting and stuck with it. It's -5 on the small knob, about 3/4 on the big one, light compression and 1/2 on make up. I kind of set it and forgot it, but next session, I'm going to mix it up a bit. Thanks for the input, it sent me in a great direction.
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Maniac

you can check the sound of the LA-610 on a vocal in this video I think:

Gearfest 2011: Tracking 4/6 Vocal + Guitar - PUREMIX

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search