The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seeking opinions on inexpensive microphone selection. Condenser Microphones
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Seeking opinions on inexpensive microphone selection.

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong section for this.

I'm currently an amateur voiceover artist, looking to take my game to the next level. Naturally, a microphone upgrade is called for.

I've been using a Samson C01U USB for the past year. Here's a sample recording to give you folks an idea of where my vocal registry falls.

Sample.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

What I'm looking for is an XLR microphone (preferably condenser) that has a good medium & low end, and will give me a full-bodied, rich tone, to accent my naturally lower range. I'm currently surviving on minimum wage paychecks, so my price range lies between $200 and $300. The preamp I'll be using will be an Art Tube MP Project USB that a friend is going to send me. ART Tube MP Project Series USB | Sweetwater.com

All this in mind, what microphones would you folks recommend? The ones I'm currently looking at the most are the AKG Perception 220/420, and the Studio Projects C-1, but have heard differing testimony on both.

I am, of course, open to other microphone suggestions as well.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head
For a full-bodied rich tone, you should maybe consider a ribbon mic. In Europe Thomann.de sells some decent ones (considering the price) that are cheaper than 100€ - but don't forget a pop-filter if you haven't got one already. Also, don't forget what a (multiband) compressor can do for your voice.

Good luck.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Check out the Sennhieser MD421.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

A Condenser mic with those qualities might be a bit more money... Cheaper AKG stuff and other cheaper condensers made in Asia somewhere have a really nasty Brittle sound to it....kinda thin.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjew24 View Post
A Condenser mic with those qualities might be a bit more money... Cheaper AKG stuff and other cheaper condensers made in Asia somewhere have a really nasty Brittle sound to it....kinda thin.
Yeah, I do realize it won't be ideal with the kind of money I can afford to spend. But I'd like to get the most bang for my buck possible.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I can't access your file from my current computer, but what do you find is lacking in your results? Have you played with mic angle and proximity effect? Pointing the mic towards your chest or towards your forehead can get you some surprisingly different tones from the same mic.

I find that for a naturally deep-sounding voice and deep-toned (if I can call it that) mic can overemphasize the lower frequencies and create an overly- muddy tone. A thin-sounding mic can be just the right think on a deep voice.
Old 12th September 2011
Got $49.95?

MCA SP-1

PSSL.com ProSound And Stage Lighting - Buy DJ Equipment and Lighting Equipment

Check out Joe Willie's web site on voice overs. He has sound clips with that mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search