The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
compressing while recording problems Utility Plugins
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

compressing while recording problems

Im trying to compress my signal while recording and using a condenser mic but I get no signal. It works when using a dynamic mic so it must be a phantom power issue. For some reason I cant figure out where the issue is (probably right in front of my face).

My set up right is:

condenser mic > mic panel > Samson S patch + > 003 rack+

Im trying to patch in my dbx 266xl.

Ive tried switching from normal to half normal on the patch point with the mic and ive tried thru on the compressor patch points.

Any help would be awesome!!!
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

forgot to mention the patchbay is 1/4" TRS. I have 1/4" TRS to XLR cables plugged into the dbx
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

mic panel? doesnt the digi's 003's have mic pres built in? are you using external preamps and to use a compressor, youll need channel inserts...maybe im thinking this wrong by what you said...
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

do you have suffcient volume with your dynamic mics?
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have a mic panel in the other room the is hooked up to the patchbay which is going out into my 003 so no patches need to be made when using the 003 (only pres at the moment). im trying to compress while recording using the 003. when i was using my 57 it worked fine. so it must be a phantom power issue.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

good catch, if you have a DC volt meter, check for dc voltage across pins 2 and 3...most never run phantom through a trs patchbay including myself, but i do own an xlr bay and the samson s patch for pres and compressors, not the plus...hope all goes well....Jim
Old 11th September 2011
Hey yeah....this is the issue for sure. You should be hitting the mic preamp then the compressor of course...so maybe make a hardware insert on the 003, then record the return.

Are you coming trs out of the panel into the trs line ins on the 003? Or into the combi jacks trs? You certainly will not get 48v that way.

OK...
Not sure how the monitoring will be for this after round trip while tracking, but I think you have to do this (below) unless you have an external mic pre.

So, Mic> xlr patch Panel> xlr into the 003 mic pre w/ phantom > out insert send to > input of compressor> from output of compressor back into channel insert return> record this? Or into any other channel and record the compressor's output.

Two conversions though.

This is a PITA.

Does the 003 have hardware inserts? I have not used one yet, excuse my ignorance, but if so, use those.

Or, do you have ANY other external mic preamp at all? Most anything will be as good as the 003's...or close. I'd use that, then into the comp, then into line in of the 003.

Can you get your hands on a cheap ART or Presonus pre to make life easier just for these tracks? I think you would not be losing much using these instead of the 003's preamps. I've seen the ART's on here for $20 in the want ads.

Good luck man.

John
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thats kinda what i thought. that the phantom power was not getting to the mic because of the patchbay and going to the dbx but just wanted to make sure. the 003 does not have insert sends or returns. it has outputs but to bring it back in you have to use the line inputs that DO NOT bypass the pres. its TRS in and out of the patchbay. TRS to XLR from patchbay to 003. everything works fine when not using the compressor (dynamic and condenser work without any problems). so im guess the dbx doesnt allow phantom to pass thru it.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatality4420 View Post
... so im guess the dbx doesnt allow phantom to pass thru it.
Bingo! that's probably it. The compressor needs to be after the pre-amp, not between the pre and the mic. Inserts would be the best way as others have said, or an *external pre -> compressor -> interface* routing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search