The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
presonus firestudio s/pdif input Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

presonus firestudio s/pdif input

Hey. I am having some trouble and hoping someone could help me. I went to presonus support but there forum isn't great and very slow. I have the Firestudio mobile from presonus.
I am trying to sample using the s/pdif inputs that have rca cables. I have a disk player playing audio going into it right now... I have recorded using mics on this unit in logic.. it was very straight forward. just hit record and was done with it... But using the s/pdif i cant for the life of me find any signal. I have checked all the input channels in logic (1-10), no signal. And opened up the 'universal control' which is like a little mixer and found not hot inputs...
Please help.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Spdif doesn't work with RCA cable. It's a digital input. You need BNC cables and a spdif output from the device that you want to record from.

There's plenty of literature out there on spdif if you want to get more in depth.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Oh and just get two RCA to 1/4 inch cables to go from your cd player to line ins of the Firestudio.
Old 11th September 2011
Deleted User
Here's the real problem....The outputs of your CD player are RCA and the inputs of your Firestudio are SPDIF....The cables are fine, you need to use something with DIGITAL OUTPUTS if you want to connect them via the SPDIF inputs...

RCA=Audio
SPDIF=Digital

Same cables different interface entirely. See the above post, just hook it up analog.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

RCA connectors (not specific to a signal type, and not a name of a signal type) are found on digital and analog audio inputs (analog and S/PDIF are the common ones).

BNC is the same, and are used with adapters for use with RCA connectors where there is a difference in connections between components.

CD players can be found with either or both types of signals (analog or digital), most lower end CD players only have analog output, higher end may have digital out as it is a digital media and outboard converters can often yield a higher fidelity conversion.

You'll also find BCN AND RCA connectors used in video applications, as well as clocking applications, in some cases used completely interchangeably.

As for the OP, I imagine the advice given is your issue, you're piping an analog signal into a digital reciever, you'll need RCA - 1/4" TS adapter and use a line level input on your PreSonus.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

K. Thanks to all!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hey this might be another nob question for some of you out there... But my unit the "firestudio Mobile" only has two outputs. two 1/4'' which go two my monitors and a headphone jack... So I have been under the impression that it is not possible to use an alesis compressor that I recently acquired..
But just thinking about it now, i think it would be possible (If really felt the need to) use the alesis compressor by routing the main 1/4 jacks to the compressor, and then back to the firestudios inputs. Although I think that the main drawback would be that I would have to record the signal coming in.. So I couldn't easily change compresion settings.
BTW, you have to understand I might sound like a nob, I have never used hardware like this before.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

I would just use the compressor while tracking. Just use plugs for mixing. Using the Alesis compressor would be more hassle than it's worth. Otherwise, yeah you can take the mail outputs and rout them back into the inputs.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

If you go analog out and analog in you'll find your "effects send" a number of samples (hundreds likely) out of phase with your signal, which is something you need to take into account when re-mixing the compressed portion of your track(s).

It is completely doable, and it's worth it to dable.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I am 100% in the box. Rarely I will use a mic for a little vocal sample or something. I Just wanted to experiment with a hardware compressor. I Knew that phase alignment was going to be a hassle so i couldnt use the comrpressor for mixing...
The way a work sometimes when I am happy with the drums I will bounce to audio... I was thinking that it might be cool to send all the drums out to the compressor and just hit record to get them back into logic as an audio file.... That or even doing the entire mix that way... I still not sure if it is possible.. I was thinking that it might just give me a load of feedback or something.. I have to get some more 1/4'' jacks to find out.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I am really thinking that all I would get is Feedback now because:
the signal going out and the signal going in would be the same, then the input and output would have to go out again so that I could monitor what is going on but this signal would also end up going back to the compressor and round and round again...

Unless maybe u can mute the input while it is recording maybe?? ... but then Idk how I could make setting adjustments to the compressor..?
oh... maybe you can route the output of the compressor to my monitors, then route it back the the presonus unit when we are ready to record..

anyway here is my unit (in case you are not familiar with it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=548-o...layer_embedded
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritzildino View Post
I am really thinking that all I would get is Feedback now because:
the signal going out and the signal going in would be the same, then the input and output would have to go out again so that I could monitor what is going on but this signal would also end up going back to the compressor and round and round again...

Unless maybe u can mute the input while it is recording maybe?? ... but then Idk how I could make setting adjustments to the compressor..?
oh... maybe you can route the output of the compressor to my monitors, then route it back the the presonus unit when we are ready to record..

anyway here is my unit (in case you are not familiar with it)

FireStudio Mobile - Overview - YouTube
Yeah You just don't monitor the input that you are recording on.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search