The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADA8000 crackling pre amps Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

ADA8000 crackling pre amps

So I'm having some issues with my behringer ada8000. I'm linking the ada8000 to a focusrite saffire pro40 via ADAT and all of a sudden i started getting a ridiculous amount of crackling from the ada8000. it used to work fine, so i don't think its a compatability issue. I'm using reaper as my daw. so far i've tried the following:

-Using the ada8000 as both master and slave
-new toslink cable
-44.1 and 48k
-staring intently at the ada8000

anyone know what else i can try to fix this issue?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Focusrite might be the culprit.
Why don't you write to them?
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

the focusrite works fine on it's own and with the ****ty crackling of the behringer.

i dont no how 2 rite good. (and i would rather just give it a quick fix if there is a way and be able to use it again sooner)
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

When the ADA8000 is the slave, which is the master? The Focusrite or the DAW?

Try it both ways.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

well, for some reason I couldn't get any signal to the daw from the ada8000 when it was the slave. so, the switch is currently on master 48k, but the adat is going out of the ada800 and into the saffire....which is weird. i got nothing from doing it the other way. I'm not quite sure what you mean by using the DAW as the master instead of the saffire. could you elaborate on how that should be set up?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

To test the ADA8000 itself, make it the master and link its ADAT out to its own ADAT in. Run a signal into one of its analog inputs and monitor the identically numbered analog out. If all the channels are OK, then the B-word is probably not your problem.

You do have both the ADAT out and ADAT in cables connected to your other piece don't you?

best,

john
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinedude View Post
well, for some reason I couldn't get any signal to the daw from the ada8000 when it was the slave. so, the switch is currently on master 48k, but the adat is going out of the ada800 and into the saffire....which is weird. i got nothing from doing it the other way. I'm not quite sure what you mean by using the DAW as the master instead of the saffire. could you elaborate on how that should be set up?
I'm jumping in on this a little late, but I'm having a similar problem with my setup, which is the same: Saffire Pro 40 and ADA8000.

With toslink cables attached to and from the Pro 40 and the ADA8000 there are 2 ways to setup master clock. With the Pro 40 as the master clock, you would set the switch on the back of the ADA8000 to "slave" and in the Saffire Mix Control you would set sync source to internal. With the ADA8000 as the master clock, you would set the switch on the back of the ADA to a sample rate (48k) and in Saffire Mix Control you would set sync source to ADAT. Those are the 2 options to seting master clock in your setup.

As John said, I tested my ADA8000 with looping the toslink cable from ADAT in to out, setting the switch to master (both 44.1 and 48) and my ADA appears to be fried. On to the Pro 40...

I proceeded to verify that the Pro 40 was working: I pulled out an old blackface ADAT tape deck and hooked up to and from the Pro 40 with toslink cables. Started with the Pro 40 set as master clock source, and the result was distorted signal from the ADAT tape. Next I set the ADAT deck as the master clock source, and got the same result, distortion. Next, I connected only one toslink cable from the ADAT deck digital out, to the Pro 40 digital in, set the ADAT deck as the master clock and the result was a clean signal!

So, what's going on with the Pro 40's ADAT digital output? I've been trying to contact Focusrite tech support via email since Monday, but as of yet, no response.

Thinedude, any progress with your issue? Let me know. I'll post when I hear from Focusrite.

Jon C
Old 24th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzgtr View Post
I'm jumping in on this a little late, but I'm having a similar problem with my setup, which is the same: Saffire Pro 40 and ADA8000.

With toslink cables attached to and from the Pro 40 and the ADA8000 there are 2 ways to setup master clock. With the Pro 40 as the master clock, you would set the switch on the back of the ADA8000 to "slave" and in the Saffire Mix Control you would set sync source to internal. With the ADA8000 as the master clock, you would set the switch on the back of the ADA to a sample rate (48k) and in Saffire Mix Control you would set sync source to ADAT. Those are the 2 options to seting master clock in your setup.

As John said, I tested my ADA8000 with looping the toslink cable from ADAT in to out, setting the switch to master (both 44.1 and 48) and my ADA appears to be fried. On to the Pro 40...

I proceeded to verify that the Pro 40 was working: I pulled out an old blackface ADAT tape deck and hooked up to and from the Pro 40 with toslink cables. Started with the Pro 40 set as master clock source, and the result was distorted signal from the ADAT tape. Next I set the ADAT deck as the master clock source, and got the same result, distortion. Next, I connected only one toslink cable from the ADAT deck digital out, to the Pro 40 digital in, set the ADAT deck as the master clock and the result was a clean signal!

So, what's going on with the Pro 40's ADAT digital output? I've been trying to contact Focusrite tech support via email since Monday, but as of yet, no response.

Thinedude, any progress with your issue? Let me know. I'll post when I hear from Focusrite.

Jon C
Have you tried replacing your TOSLink cables? When I first grabbed an ADA8000 from a GS member, I thought (at first) that I'd purchased a bum unit; it was crackling, noisy, and useless. Then a friend of mine suggested that I use better (more rugged) cables; I did and the problem disappeared.

Also, if you have the sample rate set to 48 kHz on the Behringer and 44.1 kHz on the Saffire, you're going to get a ton of crackling noises.
(I realise that this is a fairly obvious statement, but it's such an easy thing to overlook).

Also, I had issues with one of the channels in the Behringer being very "hissy". After I had read threads about another piece of well-liked Behringer gear (the V-Verb) having issues due to the overuse of glue on it's connectors and components, I tried the same thing with the ADA8000. I popped the top off and removed a lot of glue from each input. I noticed that the glue, which is normally very brittle, becomes soft as the unit gets warmer. Once the unit cools, the glue then re-hardens, expanding as it dries, and it can push connectors slightly off sockets; enough to weaken a contact. Once I had "de-glued" the ADA8000 (and my V-Verb) and reseated the contacts, I no longer had issues with either device.
Old 29th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
Have you tried replacing your TOSLink cables? When I first grabbed an ADA8000 from a GS member, I thought (at first) that I'd purchased a bum unit; it was crackling, noisy, and useless. Then a friend of mine suggested that I use better (more rugged) cables; I did and the problem disappeared.

Also, if you have the sample rate set to 48 kHz on the Behringer and 44.1 kHz on the Saffire, you're going to get a ton of crackling noises.
(I realise that this is a fairly obvious statement, but it's such an easy thing to overlook).

Also, I had issues with one of the channels in the Behringer being very "hissy". After I had read threads about another piece of well-liked Behringer gear (the V-Verb) having issues due to the overuse of glue on it's connectors and components, I tried the same thing with the ADA8000. I popped the top off and removed a lot of glue from each input. I noticed that the glue, which is normally very brittle, becomes soft as the unit gets warmer. Once the unit cools, the glue then re-hardens, expanding as it dries, and it can push connectors slightly off sockets; enough to weaken a contact. Once I had "de-glued" the ADA8000 (and my V-Verb) and reseated the contacts, I no longer had issues with either device.
One of the first things I did was check the toslink cables, and that wasn't the cause. I have the clocks running at the correct rates on each piece of gear as well, but certainly that's one of the first thing that comes to mind with digital connections.

I have purchased a replacement for the ADA8000, another of the same. And verified that indeed my original ADA8000 is not working. After a few emails with some repair shops, they suspect it's something with the converters and it's probably not worth fixing. So there goes more disposable gear from Behringer...although FWIW, it's the first piece of Behringer that I've personally had crap out.

I had read about the abundant use of glue in Behringer gear before and did pull the top off and look at it...indeed there was a lot of it, but I did not touch any of it. You certainly make a good point about exercising the connectors...years ago I had a ADAT deck that was stuck with the "moisture" warning even though it should have been dry, electronics wiz Eddie Ciletti suggested I simply exercise all the connectors inside the deck, and sure enough, that fixed it. Sometimes it's the simple solutions that work.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

I havent read the whole thread but the first post.

I owned 3 ADA8000's (not at the same time, when one broke I got another)
Every single one started to have that problem after about a year. Its some clocking issue.
You also get the same problem when you clock it wrong but with all my 3 ADA8000's it started after having worked with them for about a year and not having made any changes.

I sent them all for repair but got a replacement unit instead (under warranty) and a message that it was broken. Only the last one was just a month over a year so no more replacement.

Bottom line: The crackling on all 3 of my ADA8000 was basically a broken unit.

I then bought a focusrite Octcpre mkII instead which has been fine so far.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

You might ask over on the SAWStudio forums, as there seems to be a heavy contingent of ADA8000 users there.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

More likely theADA8000 PSU starting to fail and squirting ripple into the digital sections........easy fix
Old 30th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2udio View Post
More likely theADA8000 PSU starting to fail and squirting ripple into the digital sections........easy fix
If that's the case, what would the fix be?
Old 30th September 2011
Here for the gear

We have 2 ADA8000's. Have had them in regular use for over 2 years without any issues.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
If that's the case, what would the fix be?
PSU Recap
Old 30th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2udio View Post
PSU Recap
I haven't done any recapping before; is it a fairly involved process? I'm thinking that fellow Gearslutters would love to snag one of these preamps (with crackling) super cheap and recap it.

You've piqued my curiosity...
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was going to re-cap mine, however there is a load of surface mount components around the power supply caps.... so im going to let my tech do it
Old 1st December 2012
Here for the gear

Bottom line: The crackling on all 3 of my ADA8000 was basically a broken unit. I the

I'm shopping for a preamp to expand the saffire pro 40. was looking at the ada 800 for a cheaper price and have been researching the compatibility on the net. So, i was looking for some answers about the 800 and saw that syncing was fine but, here you guys are mentioning burning through these things. If you were going to expand on the pro 40 do you recommend the octopre mII? I'm kind of obsessive about using matched gear and definatley don't want to run into hours used problems on an ADA 800 purchase like you guys are mentioning here. Going to order something asap and seeing an octopre for $429. Should I go for it and aleviate the risk of an ADA 800 crapping out?

Last edited by Chris Crash; 1st December 2012 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 2nd December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Crash View Post
I'm shopping for a preamp to expand the saffire pro 40. was looking at the ada 800 for a cheaper price and have been researching the compatibility on the net. So, i was looking for some answers about the 800 and saw that syncing was fine but, here you guys are mentioning burning through these things. If you were going to expand on the pro 40 do you recommend the octopre mII? I'm kind of obsessive about using matched gear and definatley don't want to run into hours used problems on an ADA 800 purchase like you guys are mentioning here. Going to order something asap and seeing an octopre for $429. Should I go for it and aleviate the risk of an ADA 800 crapping out?
I've had my used ADA8000 for a couple of years now and I've had no problems (aside from removing a bit of glue, which was a whole 10 minutes of my life) and I sold a spare that I had to a friend of mine who is in love with the unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search