The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New budget condenser suggestions and opinions. List of three I've done research on. Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

New budget condenser suggestions and opinions. List of three I've done research on.

Ok so I have the blue spark right now and i'm having problems with it. I have the gc pro coverage on it so they'll be sending me a gear card to replace it. I don't think i want another one so I've been doing research. I'd like to stay under $300 but i can possibly go a bit above if absolutely crucial. So i came up with 3 options. Please let me know what you think or if there's another mic you'd suggest. I'll be using it for vocals (mostly male) and acoustic guitar mainly, but I may also need to use it for other acoustic instruments.
These are my options (unless someone has other mics in that price range to throw at me)
-Blue Bluebird (not sure if i want another cost efficient blue mic)
-sennheiser mk4 (don't know a lot about it but I've always been a fan of sennheiser live dynamic mics)
-Audio Technica AT4040 (don't know a lot about the mic, but seems good)
Any feedback would be VERY GREATLY appreciated!!!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

my at4040 has a realy nice very natural sound and a nice low end boost (can be defeated with it high pass filter)yet not a bright mic thats made in Japan....It's good for thin voices with limited low end ...great for miking certain thin sounding amps, not good for low bassy vocals...very good all around keeper of a mic...IMHO
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

In this price range, "versatile mic which is great for acoustic guitar" means ADK A6. Here's a sample of the A6 in action from dreamguitars.com.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

bluebird would be my last choice
pick one of the others
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
bluebird would be my last choice
pick one of the others
I've heard that. What would be your reasons for not picking the bluebird?
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi View Post
my at4040 has a realy nice very natural sound and a nice low end boost (can be defeated with it high pass filter)yet not a bright mic thats made in Japan....It's good for thin voices with limited low end ...great for miking certain thin sounding amps, not good for low bassy vocals...very good all around keeper of a mic...IMHO
Thanks for that. I've heard a lot of good about the 4040. Since it Has such a nice low end do the highs suffer? How are the highs on this mic? How's it sound on acoustic guitar?
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
In this price range, "versatile mic which is great for acoustic guitar" means ADK A6. Here's a sample of the A6 in action from dreamguitars.com.
Seems like something to look into. Unfortunately I have to purchase from guitar center because that's where I have the credit. :/
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

The highs dont suffer unless you prefer a hyped high end mic, the at4040 is a natural sounding well rounded mic, while testing it against the low end at2035, the lows just seemed to stand out and wasnt muddy like the at2035 was, the lows were very impressive to my ears and natural, not fake or hyped...the 4040 impressed me alot,..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefarrell View Post
Thanks for that. I've heard a lot of good about the 4040. Since it Has such a nice low end do the highs suffer? How are the highs on this mic? How's it sound on acoustic guitar?
as for acoustic, i use my at4033cl exclusivly, but seen reviews where others had success with it on acoustics...i auditioned it on my Martin and the lows came booming (the Martin has good bass anyway beings solid wood) and i may do an acoustical recording using it on the Martin...but never recorded so far with it on acoustic...

The above with finger picking or using a pick, not strumming, I dont like much bass on a strummed guitar hence the at4033 with high pass on at 12 to 14teenth fret...
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefarrell View Post
Ok so I have the blue spark right now and i'm having problems with it. I have the gc pro coverage on it so they'll be sending me a gear card to replace it. I don't think i want another one so I've been doing research. I'd like to stay under $300 but i can possibly go a bit above if absolutely crucial. So i came up with 3 options. Please let me know what you think or if there's another mic you'd suggest. I'll be using it for vocals (mostly male) and acoustic guitar mainly, but I may also need to use it for other acoustic instruments.
These are my options (unless someone has other mics in that price range to throw at me)
-Blue Bluebird (not sure if i want another cost efficient blue mic)
-sennheiser mk4 (don't know a lot about it but I've always been a fan of sennheiser live dynamic mics)
-Audio Technica AT4040 (don't know a lot about the mic, but seems good)
Any feedback would be VERY GREATLY appreciated!!!

i just got a blue reactor mic for 475 and i gotta say i like it better than my bluebird. i posted a sound sample in this forum as well
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ohhhh my friend, you want the 4040. I love mine. It is extremely quiet...no hiss or buzz or anything at all, even cranked. Versatile...I use it on vocals, acoustic guitars, room mic...anything. It is a WORKHORSE
Old 12th September 2011
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Ok. Wow. Gearslutz is awesome. I've gotten so much information from this site. Thanks so much to everyone who gave me advice. I've narrowed down my options to two mics. The first one is the AT4040. I like what I'm hearing about the low end on it and the high seem pretty naturally crisp as well. My concern is the midrange seems like it might be lacking a bit from the sound clips I've heard. Any one have any input on that? The other is one that I just learned of two days ago and I've really been checking it out. It's the Audix CX-112b. It seems pretty neutral all around. Decent lows, nice highs, and decent midrange. It's the same price as the AT4040. Does any have any input on that mic?
If it was you which one would you choose for mostly male vocals and a little in the way of acoustic instruments? I understand mics are relative to a voice but I need something right now that will be as versatile as possible.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

At4040. Without even bothering to look at the Audix. No problems in the mid range that bother me... It has a sort of "Processed" sound naturally...very different from a u87s warmth. Stunning on acoustic guitars...or anything with transient rich sound. Vocals are clear, pristine, rich, but not harsh or brittle like a cheap MXL.

I would buy 2 more.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjew24 View Post
At4040. Without even bothering to look at the Audix. No problems in the mid range that bother me... It has a sort of "Processed" sound naturally...very different from a u87s warmth. Stunning on acoustic guitars...or anything with transient rich sound. Vocals are clear, pristine, rich, but not harsh or brittle like a cheap MXL.

I would buy 2 more.
Thanks for that. I'm pretty set on the at4040 based on everything I've read and listened to. I'm sold. Thanks everyone for all the help.
Old 18th January 2012
Here for the gear

Sorry I've been go e for a while. Ended up purchasing the at4040 and absolutely LOVE it. It's very detailed but not harsh and has a wonderful low end. The bass attenuator switch is great for recording vocals. And without it it really grabs all the lows and body of the acoustic guitar. Thanks so much for everyone's help on this one.
I also grabbed a cad m179 to have different polar patterns and a different sound. It is also wonderful. Totally different sound and the polar patterns work great. Not something I'd really use on lead vocals but sounds great on acoustic guitar and could be used on backing vox.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Glad you like the at4040!
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

AT 40 series mics are great!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search