The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multi-pattern condenser? Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Multi-pattern condenser?

Anyone have any input on a good multi-pattern condenser up to $300. It'll be mainly used for vocals (mostly male) and acoustic guitar. Thanks.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Akg 414 500$ used on eBay...

Wait and save another 200 would be my advice
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

That's always the best advice. Unfortunately I do t have that kinda time. I'm interested in Multi-pattern but if anyone has a suggestion for a regular cardioid condenser for recording let me know.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

CAD M179 seems to be pretty popular. For 300 you could get two.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

On the lower end of the price scale is the Studio Projects B3: $150.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Find a used Groove Tubes GT-67. Totally under-appreciated mic. Nice and thick on male voices in cardioid or hyper-cardioid, put it in omni and it opens up for acoustic guitars. None of that Chinese harshness in the high end. Usually can be had for $300-350.
Old 10th September 2011
very lowball: Samson CO3 $119.00

I've used it on an acoustic guitar before and I got pretty good results out of it. Its a pretty bright mic tho as far as vocals are concerned
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

CAD m179 at $150, 2 for your $300...great sounding neutral mic...
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

+1 M179
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

+2 for the M179.

I love mine on vocals and guitar. I'm running it into a grace lunatec into a Macbookpro, toslink.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefarrell View Post
That's always the best advice. Unfortunately I do t have that kinda time. I'm interested in Multi-pattern but if anyone has a suggestion for a regular cardioid condenser for recording let me know.
Get the new karma trinity they are on sale at the moment. You will be extremely happy you did.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

+3 M179
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

+4 CAD M179. Works well on everything.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

+5 for the m179

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

M179!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone have any input on a good multi-pattern condenser up to $300. It'll be mainly used for vocals (mostly male) and acoustic guitar. Thanks.

lots of mikes at that price
good is relative

you gotta pick what you like (or hate the least)
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've had an M-audio Solaris for a few years and have been happy with it.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for posting. It's really helped tremendously. I've done a bunch of research on the CAD m179. I must say it sounds incredible. Esp for the price. I'm planning to get one in a few months after I get a not multi-pattern mic. I'm between the AT4040 and the Audix sx112 for that. The m179 seems super versatile and sounds great and it'll def be a "workhorse" in the studio!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
AKG perception 420
Old 18th January 2012
Here for the gear

Ended up grabbing the at4040 and the cad m179. Both are great. They have different sounds which is helpful The m179 is great on acoustic guitars and other instruments and can also be used for backing vocals. The at4040 is very crisp with a nice low and is great for lead vox and acoustic guitar.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ended up grabbing the at4040 and the cad m179. Both are great. They have different sounds which is helpful The m179 is great on acoustic guitars and other instruments and can also be used for backing vocals. The at4040 is very crisp with a nice low and is great for lead vox and acoustic guitar.
cool dude. yea the 4040 is more scooped to me. but they perform the same types of duties so you have two mics you can use on anything now and with enough difference to have things they're better at, like you noted.

very cool.

:-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search