The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Audio Interface, or Just Practice More?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

New Audio Interface, or Just Practice More?

I'm using a Lexicon Omega with Garageband, and I noticed that when I start recording and my mic volume is set a little higher than 12-o-clock, I get a really annoying ambient sound in the background.

The room isn't heavily treated or anything, but I was wondering if maybe a better audio interface would help. I'm using a Blue Spark along with it.

I guess one reason I'm thinking of reasons to upgrade is because I'm not able to adjust the monitor/headphones volume independently (Annoying). And when I first turn it on, one of my monitors doesn't get any sound until I crank the volume knob to like 4 or 5-o-clock. A little weird issue, but nothing serious. It just has me wondering how good of an interface the Omega is.

I was looking at the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB (Or the Pro 14), and it looks to be pretty good from what I've read. Are the mic preamps THAT much better than the ones on the Omega, and will it possibly help with the Ambient noise when I raise the mic gain? Also, will the "lite" edition software that's included allow me to do things I can't do in Garageband?

Or should I just practice more and make what I already have work?

Thank you for taking the time to help a newbie out. I greatly appreciate it!
Old 10th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres. View Post
I'm using a Lexicon Omega with Garageband, and I noticed that when I start recording and my mic volume is set a little higher than 12-o-clock, I get a really annoying ambient sound in the background.

The room isn't heavily treated or anything, but I was wondering if maybe a better audio interface would help. I'm using a Blue Spark along with it.

I guess one reason I'm thinking of reasons to upgrade is because I'm not able to adjust the monitor/headphones volume independently (Annoying). And when I first turn it on, one of my monitors doesn't get any sound until I crank the volume knob to like 4 or 5-o-clock. A little weird issue, but nothing serious. It just has me wondering how good of an interface the Omega is.

I was looking at the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB (Or the Pro 14), and it looks to be pretty good from what I've read. Are the mic preamps THAT much better than the ones on the Omega, and will it possibly help with the Ambient noise when I raise the mic gain? Also, will the "lite" edition software that's included allow me to do things I can't do in Garageband?

Start by padding out your room with some duvet's and getting rid of some room noise before spending dollar, what sort of mic are you using?

If it's a condensor you will notice more than you would with a dynamic.

Plus it never hurts to upgrade, I like the saffire I had one at some point but don't expect miracles
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks Dan.

Mic is a Blue Spark. It's a condenser so yeah, I would assume it does pick up some more noise than a dynamic would.

But would you say upgrading the interface would help in that regard?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres. View Post

you get what you buy

sounds like it is workign right
so learn to use what all you have to the max before buying new stuff

interface wont fix your room or your skill in using gear

if usability of monitors etc is an issue then consider a new kit
that you can adjust

i would expect the mike pres to be a little better in that other one but not so much that you will improve the problems you noted (which do not seem to be gear oriented but room and user issues)

dont know the software
it may or may not do soemthing garbageband doesnt do

for ambient noise i hope you really meant ambient and not thermal/white noise . if not answers above change.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search