The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
5.1 Setup Studio Monitors
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

5.1 Setup

Hello All,

Just looking for some opinions on how I should proceed putting a 5.1 together. I have some old Tannoy reveal actives that I've had for years and my original consideration was to buy some more of these and a sub to complete a 5.1 setup in my Project studio that will come out of Pro Tools via my profire 2626.
But I have been wondering whether another 5.1 setup, maybe even a home theatre setup might be better.
I will only be using this to dabble in 5.1 and get an idea of how to actually use it with a view to be working with surround on film & tv work.

Any opinions/recommendations?

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

It would be best if all 5 speakers are equal so getting 3 more tannoys is a good idea. As the sub is concerned, does Tannoy have a matched sub?

in case you are looking for a different setup (if you want to ditch the tannoys), i'm very content with my blue sky mediadesks. Krk RP5's with matching sub might be nice too.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

I think Tannoy do make a sub, but I'll have to check that. I did have a look at the Blue Sky stuff but I thought that it was a little bit expensive for me to "dabble" in 5.1.
Are they worth it though?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

The biggest impediment to 5.1 is that almost nobody has a room in the typical home in which 5.1 can be properly set up, therefore the mixes don't work; the consumer systems are typically garbage, and the practitioners/dabblers into 5.1 don't bother to read the spec or set their rooms up properly there fore their mixes wouldn't work anywhere but where they were created. These three issues are huge, unless all we are looking for is to have odd instruments appear in odd places at odd times. (There is a rule in writing... if you get too cute with your verbiage and your reader stops to think about how cleverly you said something, you have just failed as a writer because the reader is no longer immersed in the story you've created... you've broken that 'willful suspension of disbelief'. Same holds true with 5.1 mixing, if you are not careful about how you put what where the listener starts to think about how he is listening to surround, rather than paying attention to the music.)

In terms of what system you should buy, the same rules that hold true with any monitor system apply here. Compromises introduced to save money erode the quality of the mixes. In particular, subs are a big deal unless you are only mixing for car crashes and explosions. A musical sub is often if not always far more costly than one might like.

Oh, read the spec. No seriously, read the spec. Did I mention that you should read the spec?

I built my surround system using Dunlavys and a Velodyne sub. It was a huge expense that never paid off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search