The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Odd monitor placement question Studio Monitors
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Odd monitor placement question

I currently have some JBL LSR2325 monitors and am going to upgrade to something with 8" woofers (leaning towards the Yamaha HSM80s). The problem is my desk space is pretty tight right now with the monitors, a 27" iMac and another 24" monitor for a second computer. The JBLs are currently on either side of the iMac with the other monitor to right of that. I do have some open space on the left side of the desk. Here is the question - how much, if anything, would it affect the sound if I put one of the monitors on a floor speaker stand next to the desk and had one monitor sitting on the desk? I'm afraid I'd get sound reflecting off the desk on one side and not the other. Something to worry about? A bigger desk isn't really an option at this point. If that won't work, I guess I need to look at upgrading my monitors to something smaller. What do you think?
Old 10th September 2011
Why can't you use 2 speaker stands? If not enough width, put them behind the desk.

The reflection issue would be quite minimal compared to the difference in resonance through vibration on the desk vs. the stand. I would also guess that in a small setup like this you've probably got quite a few other reflection issues already.

JBL's aren't a bad speaker, why not work on the room a bit before spending more on new monitors?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search