The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good price for Yamah HS80ms Modular Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Good price for Yamah HS80ms

I have been toying with picking up studio monitors to use mainly for playing my guitar through my Eleven Rack at home and some casual listening, but very, very little mixing. So I have been checking out some of the usual suspects that are carried locally near me - KRK RP5/6/8, Mackie MR8mkII, and the Yamaha HS80m. I went into Guitar Center today and noticed that they have a buy one HS80m and get the second for half price. That would be $524 plus tax. That seems like a very good price - any other suggestions on places to look or should I just jump on it (especially taking into account the GC is local and I could always return or exchange them easier than buying online). Or would a pair of RP8's be better (remember, not mixing with these)? What do you think?
Old 10th September 2011
I got mine a year ago at sam ash for 900 with the sub woofer. They had them priced at 1200 thought. So $524 seems a fair price because the woofer is like 200 or so.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Good price for the HS80s but the RP8s would be better for your personal application of listening and not mixing. A/B the two monitors and you will know for sure what will suit your needs. You might like one sound over the other. But as far as personal experience (playback) on RP8s sound better.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sozaye View Post
Good price for the HS80s but the RP8s would be better for your personal application of listening and not mixing. A/B the two monitors and you will know for sure what will suit your needs. You might like one sound over the other. But as far as personal experience (playback) on RP8s sound better.
Thanks - I will definitely compare the two. I could get the RP8s for about $75 less, not that this amount would swing me either way.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oh yeah did you check out the CX5s? They're much nicer for listening than the hs80ms, most any other monitor is lol, they are not pleasant to listen to! If you do make sure the mid boost is in, they have no mids otherwise and sound pretty terrible.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do yourself a favor and browse the used market. I picked up a pair of HS80m's in like-new condition for around $300. They were at a local pawn shop. The downturn of the economy benefits those in positions to buy.

People are selling off gear in excellent condition just to make ends meet. Heck, I just sold a brand new BeesNeez James because things got a bit tight...that sucked!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's another option, smaller drivers but check the comments towards the end comparing to HS80 & others....if you're within USA these seem like an amazing deal.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...-300-pair.html
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Went to GC today and spent some time comparing monitors and came home with the HS80Ms. The Mackie MR8mk2 were actually pretty close. Both myself and the guy at GC who had never listened to them before were pleasantly surprised at how much better the new Mackies sounded vs what we both remembered the old ones sounding like. Very smooth, but in the end, I liked the detail on the HS80Ms a bit better (and the sale price helped).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search