The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tlm 102 vs cm12 vs cv12 vs at 4047 Condenser Microphones
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

tlm 102 vs cm12 vs cv12 vs at 4047

Okie doke what up sluts.

So I'm nearing the end of my project, and I kinda have a thing where I invest in a new peice of gear or instrument after each solid project.
I record manly rap vocals, using an sm7b. I like the sm7b alot, but also want a great condenser mic, just for versitiltily yadda yadda...
So for male rap vocals, which mic would you suggest between 500-1000bucks. I just sold my bluebird, didnt really do much for me with my voice. Liked it for recording acoustics though.
Mics I'm interested in are
Advanced audio CV-12
Avantone CM-12
Neumann TLM 102
AT 4047

My voice is pretty Mid heavy I suppose, and not low at all.

Thanks guys!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

If its not got much low-low mids going on, and you want that full sound, you would be good to look at the 102 and 4047. Both are 'dark' or neutral sounding mics, one being transformer based and one not.

It will help you to get full sounding vocals, instead of thin sounding vocals without any weight or body. However, they are quite similar to the SM7 in frequency response. As condensers they have more open top end, and are more sensitive to transients, but they do hold a strong low midrange and have appropriate attenuation for sibilance.

However, if its for a full mix scenario and you want the vocals to cut through, then you might want to look at the other two for a bit of extra brightness and clarity. Never heard the CV-12, but if it sounds anything like an AKGC12, it will be fairly bright. Not saying you cant get SM7 or 102/4047 vocals to cut, but it will take some EQing, whereas other options might make be more suited to a full mix. For example, the 102 has no low cut filter, and unless your mic pre/compressor has one, it will need to be engaged at mixing.

Having a brighter condenser also widens the range of sounds from your mic collection a little further.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search