The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer UB1222 Mixer, can I do anything with it?
Old 9th September 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Behringer UB1222 Mixer, can I do anything with it?

Alright, aside from the jokes about using it as a doorstop (literally already did that) or as a place to pour the water when the toilet gets stopped up...

Behringer Eurorack UB1222FX-PRO Mixer: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Is there anything I can do to make this mixer: better, improved, something usefully different? I've kept it around to drive my dad's PA system, but we really don't use it anymore. I've gotten into electronics stuff, but I haven't opened it up, I have my doubts there's much to mess with in there. Has anyone heard of any interesting mods to this mixer?


And if there are no mod suggestions, can I scrap the insides and make a better mixer out of the chassis? Anything?

Thanks!
Old 9th September 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Use it as a sidechain compressor when you need it. There's a great little auto-compressor in the FX. Use it as a chorus box by way of inserts or Aux bus...take advantage of some of the FX. Too noisy for critical applications of course but not entirely useless.

No mods will help that I know of. The topology is too prohibitive I think.

Use the pre's as effect pre's. If you keep the Trim down and push the faders higher toward unity it's actually a pretty quiet pre that can be thick and sound rather "old school analog". The problem with the UB Pro stuff is that there's just no headroom to speak of, so on low level app's where you don't need a lot of headroom and you're only look for a simple -18dB, -12dB capture it can be useful.
Old 10th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Use it as a sidechain compressor when you need it. There's a great little auto-compressor in the FX. Use it as a chorus box by way of inserts or Aux bus...take advantage of some of the FX. Too noisy for critical applications of course but not entirely useless.

No mods will help that I know of. The topology is too prohibitive I think.

Use the pre's as effect pre's. If you keep the Trim down and push the faders higher toward unity it's actually a pretty quiet pre that can be thick and sound rather "old school analog". The problem with the UB Pro stuff is that there's just no headroom to speak of, so on low level app's where you don't need a lot of headroom and you're only look for a simple -18dB, -12dB capture it can be useful.


Hmm, well too bad there aren't any mods I can do, but good to know it might come in handy. I've used it as practice for riding the faders a few times, but since it only has the stereo outs, it's not really practical for that (plus it hisses a lot).

I doubt I could get much for selling it so I guess I'll keep it around and see if I can find a good home for it.


Any other ideas?
Old 11th September 2011
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

I was going to suggest using it to put a chain on it and use it to keep your boat from floating away :-) but I guess if it works.....

Seriously you can always use an extra mixer for something. Maybe take the direct outs from a better board and use it as a multiple mix monitor mixer (either headphones or live). If it passes audio and still works OK. Keep it and you will find a use for it.
Old 11th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogoth View Post
Keep it and you will find a use for it.

Haha that's why I've still got it today heh
Old 11th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
jude's Avatar
 

use it as a distortion unit. the mic pre's on those desks start to sing when they are clipping
Old 11th September 2011
  #7
Registered User
 

Quote:
And if there are no mod suggestions, can I scrap the insides and make a better mixer out of the chassis? Anything?
If you have to ask you will probably not be capable of Improving on the original.
Quote:
use it as a distortion unit. the mic pre's on those desks start to sing when they are clipping
Are you implying that other preamps that are clipped don’t distort?

It is a cheap small mixer. It is OK for what it is just like all the other cheap small mixers that are out there. If you have no need for it sell it; otherwise keep it. After all you must have thought it the best option for the job when you acquired it.
Old 11th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
...After all you must have thought it the best option for the job when you acquired it.

Not really, I bought it because it was cheap, had a handful of inputs, and two outputs that I could send to my FireBox. But it never worked out for that, so it's been sitting around for a few years. Not many people seem to be interested in buying it, so I'm trying to repurpose it.
Old 11th September 2011
  #9
Registered User
 

Phonic, Peavey and Yamaha all do similar style mixers.
Old 11th September 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
Phonic, Peavey and Yamaha all do similar style mixers.

Not at that price at that time.
Old 12th September 2011
  #11
Registered User
 

There are very few people that don’t factor in cost when choosing the best option at a particular point in time.

If you have moved on just sell it.
Old 12th September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
use it as a distortion unit. the mic pre's on those desks start to sing when they are clipping

how are they if you dont clip?

why would anyone allow clipping with any mixer ?
Old 12th September 2011
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
why would anyone allow clipping with any mixer ?
It's called being "creative". Try it sometime.

For example, if you drive a separate snare mic till it's distorting, then tuck it underneath the main snare signal, you can add body and space to the sound, without giving it a huge reverb. Doesn't always work, and may well need gating (probably keyed off the close snare mic), but it can sound cool. I've seen several top mix guys do this using mults at mix time as well, and of course we all know about people like Tchad Blake using the sansamp for this. same deal.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump