The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pair of mics for both drum overheads and Piano Condenser Microphones
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Pair of mics for both drum overheads and Piano

I'm looking for a pair of mics that I can kill two birds with one stone, but will still be a useful mic. I have a full upright grand I need to track and a pair of mics for drum overheads. Mostly on the drums I end up using drumagog, but I do want to use some live overheads. I'm looking at spending around 1,600. Any suggestions?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

FWIW most mics that sound good on OH will probably sound good on piano, and vice versa.

I say "probably" only to indicate that there are certain mics that may work better for one or the other, but I'd say 99% of the time they'll be brilliant or either, provided all else is also near as brilliant (performance, room, instrument, etc.)
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

The mics I'm considering the most would be Earthworks SR-77 and the KM 184's. The royar Ribbons are also in the running. I am most concerned with mic'ing up the piano, but I don't want to screw myself by getting a ribbon or condenser that only does 1 well.
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegafreak View Post
I'm looking for a pair of mics that I can kill two birds with one stone, but will still be a useful mic. I have a full upright grand I need to track and a pair of mics for drum overheads. Mostly on the drums I end up using drumagog, but I do want to use some live overheads. I'm looking at spending around 1,600. Any suggestions?

Check out the AKG 414. Classic mic for both applications....
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

your budget is way over the low end forum......

shop for a used pair of Coles 4038's.

fwiw, never been a big fan of SDC's on piano
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Checking out the AKG 414...Thanks for the tip!

j2dafo, you're the second cat who has recommended the Coles mic to me...I guess I blew off the first one because I thought the Coles mic was primarily a broadcast mic. I'm going to have to research it more

And I'm a noobie, so I was scared to post in the high end forum for fear of getting yelled at for posting in the wrong budget range Thanks for understanding.
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

A pair of the new C214's would be cool, but I'd go for C414B-ULS, probably. Used market there, as they don't make new ones anymore.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

dude, search on the Coles 4038, one of the standard ribbon choices for piano, drum rooms, drum overheads, electric guitar amps, violin, viola.

getting a pair of AKG C414 BULS is cool too, but a different flavor.

you should determine what kind of drum and piano sounds you are after first. either of these choices, though, will have a lifelong place in any mic locker.
Old 10th September 2011
I own the km184 and have used the sr77's on quite a few recordings. Both are top quality mic's. Both sound great on drum overheads. sr77's are quite flat and I love the tone for piano and jazz drums. On normal drums they can be a little bland without eq. Fwi they are now called the SR30 not sr77, they are the same mic. I love the km184 on acoustic guitar and most drums. They have a steep roll off at 200 which might not work well on classical grand piano style music, but I am not sure.

That being said I a used pair of coles 4038 could be just the ticket and be the best mic's for this application. Just make sure you have a preamp with enough gain. Also check out a used pair of Gefell m200.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

To the OP, have you checked out Lauten Audio Clarions? They have some samples on the website that were done at my studio. Pretty nice mics!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search