The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need more pieces for a very low end setup Condenser Microphones
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Need more pieces for a very low end setup

Hey guys, I'm a singer/songwriter recording mostly vocals and acoustic guitar (thinking of getting an electric somewhere down the line...). I've been trying to expand my setup, as it's currently pretty limited. What are the things I should make my priority to get? My budget is around 1k.

What I have now:
2008 duo core macbook running Logic 9
Shure SM58
Yamaha 61key with pedal (use it for midi)
Alesis Multimix 4 - terrible interface, huge amounts of noise

What I am thinking of getting:
A set of monitors
Apogee Duet 2
Pop filter
Condenser Mic
Cheap room treatment

What are your thoughts? Suggestions for monitors, condensers within the price range? Do I even need a condenser (if so, large or small?) Do you think the Duet 2 is worth it? What are some cheap room treatment options?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice I can get.
Old 9th September 2011
Get a new interface first, if its giving you allot of noise in your recordings

Quote:
What are some cheap room treatment options?
Get a 6 pack or 12 pack of corning 703 or 705 2' X 4' panels. Then get some colored burlap and some 3M adhesive and some wood for the back of the panels and your all set.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wot he said.

ADK A6 or Oktava Mk012 are very good for acoustic guitar. A pair is even better if the guitar is the main element in the mix.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

As far as the noise issue goes, it's quite possibly that your alesis just doesn't have enough clean gain to drive your shure mic. In that case, it is possible that a higher gain mic preamp is what you need.

Furthermore, your room might just be too noisy? If you are thinking of using a condenser mic, you should especially think about the noise in your room. I need to put my macbook in a separate room or my closet to record some stuff because of the fan noise.

I would also make sure the electrical wiring is all savvy. Is the power grounded properly and it's not sharing with stuff like refrigerators and light dimmers? Those things do contribute to noise.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

The CAD M179 is a really nice large-diaphragm condenser microphone. Variable polar-pattern, hi-cut filter, and -6 dB switch.

CAD M179 Dual Diaphragm Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphone at FrontEndAudio.com

And Front End Audio gives a free pop filter and xlr cable if you order one from them.

I wouldn't order the Apogee Duet if your budget is around 1k. Monitors will set you back quite a bit as well.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Apogee is overpriced. Its good stuff, but not great value.

Look elsewhere. RME, Steinberg, MOTU, Mackie

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search