The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Web radio and broadcast setup; Showcase and discussion. Mixers (Analog)
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Web radio and broadcast setup; Showcase and discussion.

Hello Everyone,
As the popularity of video broadcast and Webradio increased, I feel like starting this post and hope this will help at the same time many of you looking to setup.
There is many ways to broadcast; from software to hardware, from budget to high-tech, each could be the “good” and “unique” solution for you.

Before starting topics, such as microphone, mixer, software, technique, etc, etc… It will be a good idea to showcase your installation or project.

Since I just finished my setup (until the next upgrade); you will find the blue print at the end of this post.
This broadcast studio is a personal choice, and cannot be considered as the best option, but almost retain all the foundations; such as Talkover, signal compressing, Chatroom, music automation software, backup, etc…
but, also missing some important details; Pop filter, audio conversion, video camera, phone interface, profanity delay, headphone, etc…

You are welcome to ask or comment on it.
And the most important show us what your setup!

Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, that's quite a setup there!
Way more than I am dealing with.
I am setting up Video streaming and recording for my company and will likely go with USTREAM, SKYPE and some other cloud based alternatives.

Gear wise it will be some Canon cams and mics strait into the Encoder computers and to the web. Unfortunately, no extra processors will be involved to keep everything simple, flexible and moveable.
Add 30 branches into the mix, and a bunch of high quality webcams and I got a a mess to tie together.
I WISH I could setup a system like you have with an actual mixer and processors but it doesn't fit our model at all.

ONE OR TWO CAMS WITH BETTER MICS > Laptop with UStream or other Encoder > to the cloud for live video streaming, recording and playback
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
Wow, that's quite a setup there!
Way more than I am dealing with.
I am setting up Video streaming and recording for my company and will likely go with USTREAM, SKYPE and some other cloud based alternatives.

Gear wise it will be some Canon cams and mics strait into the Encoder computers and to the web. Unfortunately, no extra processors will be involved to keep everything simple, flexible and moveable.
Add 30 branches into the mix, and a bunch of high quality webcams and I got a a mess to tie together.
I WISH I could setup a system like you have with an actual mixer and processors but it doesn't fit our model at all.

ONE OR TWO CAMS WITH BETTER MICS > Laptop with UStream or other Encoder > to the cloud for live video streaming, recording and playback
- Did you checkout listen2myradio.com ?

I'm also using a canon xha1 (on firewire) and logitech pro9000 for pip (to reduce my cost)
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Head

(A quick reply to numerous E-mails about mixer choice)

Broadcast mixer;

Any console can be your main broadcast mixer, software may also be used.

But, what are the differences?

- - Auto-talkover function (Time and Damping controls over your music program); which attenuates the frequencies in the mid-range / vocal area of music being played or damp the full/partial music program while the microphone is in use. (Tips; a compressor can be used for ducking your audio program via insert).

- - Telco inputs (telephone insert); The Telco inputs can accept a feed from a telephone interface module that provides a clean feed output (CLF). A dedicated Telco output can be fed back to the external telephone interface which provides the mix minus the caller's voice, which helps prevent feedback.

- - Remote button or fader switch; allows to Start/Cue CD player or controls “On Air” signs.

- - Automatic Speaker Muting; set to mute the control room speaker outputs to avoid feedback.

Broadcast mixer budget; From $400.00 to $ 15K for the most popular.

This is a small list of broadcast console ($400-$1.5K);

- Allen & Heath XB-14 - Radio Broadcast USB Mixer (based on ZED14 ($335.00) this console include studio muting, 2 Telco, and remote control).
Allen & Heath XB-14 - Radio Broadcast USB Mixer ZED-XB-14 B&H

- Henry Engineering SixMix - 6-Channel Radio Station Broadcast Mixer
Henry Engineering SixMix - 6-Channel Radio Stati 6MIX B&H Photo=

-
ATI Audio Inc MX-101 Mono 3-Channel Field Audio, Broadcast and Studio Production Mixer

ATI Audio Inc MX-101 Field Audio Mixer MX101 B&H Photo Video=

- Soundcraft RM105 (RW5325) Broadcast Mixer 8 input frame Inc. PSU
Soundcraft RM105 (RW5325) Broadcast Mixer 8 input frame Inc. PSU [SSOURM1058F] -

- - AIRMATE-USB 8 channel (with 6 triple and 2 dual inputs) radio production console
New Page 1

- Arrakis ARC-88 Channel Compact Broadcast Console
Arrakis ARC-8 8 Channel Compact Broadcast Console | BSWUSA.com

- Behringer PRO MIXER DX2000USB (cheapest of this list $400, not the best, but more than you can expect for.)
- BEHRINGER: DX2000USB

- To be extended.
Old 5th April 2012
Here for the gear

I'm setting up an internet radio station, but I'm new to the specifics of radio station equipment, so I have a couple of questions:

1) what is the most common way of routing the master signal from the mixer to the computer?

2) I don't know If anyone here has any experience with the D&R Airmate USB mixer, but I'm not sure how that USB thing works. The manual isn't very detailed on it. The mixer has USB ports on channels 5 & 6, and the brochure and the manual says only that the purpose ofthis USB connection is to playback from and recording to a computer, and it also says it's a great feature for internet radio. What puzzles me is - what exactly can a computer "hear" from these USB ports? Only the inputs from channels 5 & 6 or the master output?
Old 5th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijkTronyk View Post
I'm setting up an internet radio station, but I'm new to the specifics of radio station equipment, so I have a couple of questions:

1) what is the most common way of routing the master signal from the mixer to the computer?
Via your sound card, mini jack, digital, s/pdif. could be also USB external soundcard as low as $10.00... or for some high-end firewire connection.

2) I don't know If anyone here has any experience with the D&R Airmate USB mixer, but I'm not sure how that USB thing works. The manual isn't very detailed on it. The mixer has USB ports on channels 5 & 6, and the brochure and the manual says only that the purpose ofthis USB connection is to playback from and recording to a computer, and it also says it's a great feature for internet radio. What puzzles me is - what exactly can a computer "hear" from these USB ports? Only the inputs from channels 5 & 6 or the master output?
Channel 5 and 6 have Mic/Line and USB interface to transfer audio from and to your PC. 5&6 line input from your computer, and main output from master to your pc (for streaming)
LINE - USB
The stereo line input is a high impedance input for connecting any stereo line level device such as CD players, iPods, tape decks etc. The USB switch changes the module into a USB in and out module. The USB connector will communicate with play-record devices such as computers using a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), Windows Media Player, and/or CD players using a USB output connector. It is an input that can be connected to any standard USB connector on PC’s to make an easy interface with music programs running on the PC.
When the USB connection is made between the Airmate-USB and your PC, your computer will recognizes the USB device as new hardware. A small green led lights when data is sent over the USB cable.
In Windows Media Player, you can change settings to allow it to work as a player or recorder. If you want to know more about USB try this link
Audio Stream Input/Output - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you are already familiar with digital audio recording, the latest versions of Kristal Audio Engine and Audacity are available free of charge via the Internet. Use this link ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver for third party.

ps; did you look at Allen & Heath ZED-XB-14 14 Channel Broadcast Console? it's half price of Airmate and got the same specs
Old 5th April 2012
Here for the gear

Patrickmmiami, thanks for the info! :D

Ok, so the output from the mixer is treated just like every other stereo input at the soundcard, cool.

Great, I can use the USB connections to send the main output to the PC, that's what I needed to know! However, that Allen & Heath console sounds great, I'll check it out, thank you very much for the reference!
Old 5th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijkTronyk View Post
Patrickmmiami, thanks for the info! :D

Ok, so the output from the mixer is treated just like every other stereo input at the soundcard, cool.

Great, I can use the USB connections to send the main output to the PC, that's what I needed to know! However, that Allen & Heath console sounds great, I'll check it out, thank you very much for the reference!
I will suggest to connect your main mixer output XLR to a external usb sound card (as low as $10) connected to your streaming PC.
Leaving the mixer USB with the option to add a additional laptop or guest computer; this could be useful to run Dj software (Ableton, Serato, etc..) and even Winamp, for a musical program 24/7.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search