The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ZED R16 has no direct outputs, alternatives??? Mixers (Analog)
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

ZED R16 has no direct outputs, alternatives???

Hello all, hope this post doesn't seem redundant.

I would like to buy a ZED R16 and record into 2 echo audiofire 12's but the ZED does not offer direct outputs. I've looked through their line and there doesn't seem to be anything else similar with direct outs.

My alternative is a Mackie onyx 24.4 (don't want the 1640i due to bad routing options) but the board does not have an option to bypass the built in pre's, and the EQ is not fully parametric.

Here's are my two main questions...

Can anyone recommend an older or current Allen and heath board like the ZED R16 with direct outs and good pres between 16 and 24 channels?

Or in your personal experience with the Mackie onyx mixers have you noticed a loss in quality when using the Line in on the Mackie 24.4 onyx while using your outboard pres?

Thanks for the help!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do you have something against using the inserts as direct outs?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I would like to use the inserts for some outboard gear and I think the inserts might be pre eq as well but I'll need to check the manual on that. Using the inserts is also unbalanced which i guess doesn't make a huge deal but i would rather not.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Add an 8 channel adat unit to the zed r16. I have a presonus digimax fs hooked up to my zed and it gives me tons of extra analog ins and outs. I use it as dedicated insert channels for hardware compression and effects.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search