The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Piece of Low End Gear Have You Kept For Many Years and Why Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th September 2011
What Piece of Low End Gear Have You Kept For Many Years and Why

What piece of low end gear have you kept and used for many years (like 15 to 20) and why? Myself, I only have one item that I've been using for 21 years or so (don't laugh): an ART Multiverb III. Why? Not the most pristine sounding verb but respectable at 20 bit. I throughly understand how it works, it's got good metering, input and output level controls, and very useful and unique effects combinations. I've lost track of how many times I've packed it away and brought it back out.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fostex pmo.5 monitors... Never died on me so I still use them...even though I hate them
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

My Alesis QuadraVerb I 20bit, I like the lush sound...
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Alesis wedge- because I love some of the sounds that come out of it.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Digitech RP-1

It's noisy yeah, but the limited bandwidth allows for some fantastic mojo when using the modulation FX that can feedback (flange, etc).
Old 9th September 2011
My Radio Shack 33-1070D microphones (a pair); I still use them in sessions; I'd like to get my hands on two more of them.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjew24 View Post
Fostex pmo.5 monitors... Never died on me so I still use them...even though I hate them
Me too! But I like em. They're my 2nd set of monitors mainly for reference.
Old 9th September 2011
I have an MXL 990 that I forgot about and sat in the bottom of a draw at my parent's house for years. I got into tinkering with electronics over time, found it one day and proceeded to pull it apart and see what I could do (too scared to do that to any of my better mics).

Long story short it sounds pretty cool now and I use it quite a lot. I have a dodgy solder in there somewhere as it only works when it's leaning on a certain angle. One of these days I'll get around to fixing it...
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Ximo, what was your mod? I'm curious as I have some mxl 604s.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinkuki View Post
Ximo, what was your mod? I'm curious as I have some mxl 604s.
I pulled the inner 2 layers of the headbasket grill out (very carefully!) and messed around with a bunch of different caps on the bottom side of the circuit board. I couldn't say if the circuit board in your 604s are the same, but it's the cap that completes the whole circuit, hard to miss. I don't even really know what it does, I just like to tinker! The headbasket mod makes a HUGE difference to the sound. It's single layer all the way from here on out for me!

I had a bunch of NOS military caps that I was messing around with in my guitars and thought "why not". I put this huge (Russian?) .47uf cap in there, it barely fits but it really beefed up the sound, I mean, it's bigger right! But I really need to go in and find out why it's cutting out/popping/only working when I lean it on the side. I'm sure just a bad solder or short circuit of some kind. If only I wasn't so lazy....

There's a lot of info about modding these kind of mics. Search googles for "Genchinamod" by some guy.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
My Radio Shack 33-1070D microphones (a pair); I still use them in sessions; I'd like to get my hands on two more of them.
I have four of the 33-1070 mics and use them every once in a while. They work great on screaming vocals.
Old 18th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
I have four of the 33-1070 mics and use them every once in a while. They work great on screaming vocals.
Egg shaker, and various electronic kids toys, like a megaphone with pitch shifting effects, Your voice was actually louder than the signal.
Boxes of trash mainly
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

I have a hard time letting go of the Casio CZ-5000.
Old 18th October 2011
Gear Addict

I usually use Vovox and Mogami only but I have several budget cables that I still use because I find that they sound amazing.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

shee-it, almost all the gear I own is ~20 years old! And I keep it because A) I'm a packrat, and B) you can't sell this crap, no one wants it!
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

My little $75 acoustic guitar made in Romania.
I wrote most of my songs on it over the years.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

I still have two Symetrix 525 compressors that came out of my live PA rig 20 years ago. I still use them. An API pre with a touch of the Symetrix on bass guitar into PT9 is a thumping good time. I also still have the old Yammie Rev7, two Korg SDE1000 delays, an ART Pro VLA and a Pro MPA both made in 1987.....And then theres the U87 circa 1983...I dont sell things any more and I find that I miss the stuff I did sell early on....Beyer 201s, MD409's, D12, sigh.......I know the U87 isnt really low-end....But I really dont have very much money in it since I've had it for so long.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear
3 DBX 163x compressors, an Ibanez mic, Midiverb IV, DeArmond square wave distortion and DOD OD/250 pre amp pedals, Ibanez RB999 bass, Peavey MegaBass head, Trace Elliot 115 bass cab.
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Fostex pmo.5 monitors. Because I can't effing decide on a new pair. And because I can.
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

1940s Valco amp, a 1960 Melodymaker, a 1966 Firebird 12 string, a 1980 or 90s Arion tuner.
Old 2nd November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
a 1966 Firebird 12 string
PLEASE Post a picture! Ive Never Ever seen a 12 string ONE!
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

yes please post a picture.....i once owned a non reversed gibson firebird...
Quote:
1940s Valco amp, a 1960 Melodymaker, a 1966 Firebird 12 string, a 1980 or 90s Arion tuner.
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
PLEASE Post a picture! Ive Never Ever seen a 12 string ONE!
They are pretty rare, only about 280 were made between 1965 and 1966. I've seen a couple on ebay years ago, and they had been refinished, and I've seen a few with broken headstocks that had been repaired... not surprising, as the neck is super thin and the headstock is like a rally thick canoe paddle. I don't imagine that there are a lot of them surviving.

and you can see the Silvertone/Valco on it's side in the top row with the treble clef flocked onto the grille cloth, by the RCA dog statue... a really retro amp.

Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Maniac

ADAT . The extra 8 ins are nice. Still sounds great and the AD conversion is very musical.
Old 2nd November 2011
Deleted User
I have several low buck mic's..even one with echo built in... and I have a lot of guitar pedals that I put in the signal chain sometimets .. ..BUT the low end daily user is my Rolls RP220 pre (now Bellari) ... sounds great ..holds its own among the avalon, api, purple, protico, altec I have... it is one smooth unit..I did put a pair of Genelex gold lion 12ax7's in it ...us it on anything.. U87 sound wonderful thru it...
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Nice 12 string Firebird, looks like my old 6 string Firebird and yours has the mini humbuckers, BTW someone sit on mine and broke it's neck.... thanks for sharing...
Quote:
They are pretty rare, only about 280 were made between 1965 and 1966. I've seen a couple on ebay years ago, and they had been refinished, and I've seen a few with broken headstocks that had been repaired... not surprising, as the neck is super thin and the headstock is like a rally thick canoe paddle. I don't imagine that there are a lot of them surviving.

and you can see the Silvertone/Valco on it's side in the top row with the treble clef flocked onto the grille cloth, by the RCA dog statue... a really retro amp.

Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I've got a number of old pieces of rack gear from the 80's. Some old Boss half rack pieces (RCE-10 chorus ensemble, RPD-10 Panning Delay, RRV-10 Digital Reverb, and the RPS-10 Pitch Shifter/Delay). The don't get used at all these days, but I loved them dearly when I was younger.

Ahhh, nostalgia. Anyone remember these dinosaurs?
Attached Thumbnails
What Piece of Low End Gear Have You Kept For Many Years and Why-boss-halfrack-pic-1.jpg   What Piece of Low End Gear Have You Kept For Many Years and Why-boss-halfrack-pic2.jpg  
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Maniac

Roland DEP-5 and Ashly Limiter. Old Wheatstone compressor. They're not mine but they're in our studio rack and get regular use.
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Maniac

DOD FX25 stomp box.

The low pass filter on this thing is awesome. I like to run synth bass lines though it.

Bill Laswell and Flea supposedly both have them on their pedal boards...
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Radio Shack MPA 200 100 Watt Stereo Power amps that I've had [email protected] least 20 years. I've used these things every day since and they have never failed once. Not once.
That's the real deal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search