The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Piece of Low End Gear Have You Kept For Many Years and Why Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Me.

Because I have no choice.

But seriously, most of my gear is low end!

Absolute zero monitors
Behringer MX-8000 Eurodesk (currently not being used)
Ensoniq DP/2 (also currently not in use).

I'm looking at going back to hardware synths soon, so the desk might come out of retirement (until I can afford something a bit more compact and quieter) and the DP/2 will be put back into use (I wonder if it still works...!)
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Nut
NS10s
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Maniac

Does a Crown DC300a count as low end?

I've owned it since it was new in the early 80s (maybe late 70s - those years are kind of fuzzy :-)
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
What piece of low end gear have you kept and used for many years (like 15 to 20) and why?
Well, I haven't been recording for 20 years (around 8 actually), but I do have some gear that's worked really well to the point of that I can honestly say that I know for a fact that I will never get rid of it. On that list are the SM7b, FMR RNP and RNC, SE Reflexion Filter, BBE Sonic Stomp Maximizer, and the Roland Sp-404 (more production than recording but whatever).
Old 3rd November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
They are pretty rare, only about 280 were made between 1965 and 1966. I've seen a couple on ebay years ago, and they had been refinished, and I've seen a few with broken headstocks that had been repaired... not surprising, as the neck is super thin and the headstock is like a rally thick canoe paddle. I don't imagine that there are a lot of them surviving.

2......Two Gibson single neck 12 string electrics,and they're BOTH not been "headstock repaired"? Very bloody nice,lucky boy.Im a lefty[avatar......1990]and was in band[breifly]with a vocalist that had a "vantage"[giggle gig]L/H 12 string electric,my only 12/electric experience unfortunately.Anyhow very nice show.
Old 3rd November 2011
Kawai K1 (Cost around $100)

Why? I like the string pad sound. I've used it for 20 years.

JoeMeek VC3 (Cost around $100)

Why? It's the only compressor that makes my voice sound good.

Big Vietnamese arch-top guitar with my name on the head stock & Kent Armstrong pick-up. (Cost: $225)

Why? Because it's ultra-cool & sounds fantastic with tremolo.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
2......Two Gibson single neck 12 string electrics,and they're BOTH not been "headstock repaired"? Very bloody nice,lucky boy.Im a lefty[avatar......1990]and was in band[breifly]with a vocalist that had a "vantage"[giggle gig]L/H 12 string electric,my only 12/electric experience unfortunately.Anyhow very nice show.
Thanks,

I never should have sold the 12 strings... I had three of the Fenders, one a custom color, and the 68 335-12 was a dream to play and record. But since I've retired, I'm not in the studio anymore, I've moved to a smaller place, and I just could not see a justification for holding all those instruments (and all of my other guitars and amps) in storage somewhere. So I paired the collection down and only kept the Firebird 12 string.
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Addict

There's a few pieces of very low end gear I keep for specific purposes. One is the Alesis 3630, which as a compressor is horrible BUT for some side chain purposes it just fits. I also like to use it on doubled bass tracks and backing vocals and compress the hell out of them. It produces this almost distorted/filter effect that when blended can really work in a mix.

I also have a cheap Peavy Vypyr amp that was like $100. It sounds horrible when you are standing next to it but for in a dense mix it can work well on 4th or 5th guitar tracks that occasional come in and out. Effects are horrible BUT run soem FM type synth sounds through and you get some interesting results.

Oh I guess the Alesis MIDIverb 4 is pretty low end but I dig it on certain sources still.
Old 3rd November 2011
Here for the gear

two dbx 163x halfrack compressors. the first was given to me by a keyboardist friend of mine who had religated it to the bottom of a milkcrate filled with assorted cables and broken stompboxes in his garage after he moved to a digital set up a decade prior. i bought my second off ebay for $25 shortly there after because of how easy it was to use. that and of course my old tascam fourtracks and hand-me-down sm58 that still handles the bulk of my recordings.

instrument-wise i have gotten a ton of mileage out of the $120 silvertone 1482 amp and early 60s 6 lug ludwig pioneer snare i snagged ages ago.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg View Post
Ian ART Pro VLA and a Pro MPA both made in 1987....
huh? I mean.... huh?

1987, not likely. 1997 quite possibly. an 1987 ART was making crazy black single rack space digital reverbs with huge pink graphics all over the front. it wasn't until some time later that they invented the pro levelar which was the predecessor to the vla. and the pro mpa didn't exist until much later than their single rack space preamps which didn't come around until well into the 1990s - I think.

must be a typo?
Old 3rd November 2011
I still have my Alesis MMT-8 sequencer on my studio workstation, although it just sits there now. It's funny how when I only had that and my Korg K1r module I was so much more creative....
Old 4th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPOrec View Post
I still have my Alesis MMT-8 sequencer on my studio workstation, although it just sits there now. It's funny how when I only had that and my Korg K1r module I was so much more creative....
I had an MMT-8 when they first came out. I used it & an HR-16 drum machine. Great gear.

And that Korg N1R is a keeper. The N-series is an under-rated line.
I wish I had those sounds. I had an N-364 back in the day.
Old 4th November 2011
[[email protected];7191041]

Wow, that Melody Maker brings back memories: like the time my step brother's dad bought him one just like yours from a friend of his. Had to drive 40 miles to get it in 10 below 0 weather. When we got home, he was real eager to get that thing out of the case. When he did, we watched in horror as tiny little cracks formed everywhere in the finish. We were too stupid at that time to let the instrument warm up gradually.
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Rob Coates;7198132]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Wow, that Melody Maker brings back memories: like the time my step brother's dad bought him one just like yours from a friend of his. Had to drive 40 miles to get it in 10 below 0 weather. When we got home, he was real eager to get that thing out of the case. When he did, we watched in horror as tiny little cracks formed everywhere in the finish. We were too stupid at that time to let the instrument warm up gradually.

It was that way when I bought it but I don't mind, I think it is kinda cool. I did exactly the same thing that you did, though... but with an acoustic. I had a very cool Harptone Eagle 6-S (later stolen). It was freezing out and very warm inside. I brought the cold guitar into the house opened the case, and it sounded like the Titanic hitting the ice floe as ther wood expanded and the finish cracked and the strings sang.... I was devastated. And pretty young and stupid.
Old 4th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
I had an MMT-8 when they first came out. I used it & an HR-16 drum machine. Great gear.
I never did find the HR-16. Later used the MMT-8 with my Roland XP-50 because I was too lazy to be bothered to learn the Roland sequencer. when I got into computer sequencing in 1999 that was that....
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Ensoniq ESQ-1.

Not for the sounds (it has some synth string sounds I'd still consider using, but that's about it) but for its awesome, light yet responsive action as well as Moog-style pitch and mod wheels in the proper configuration and position.

Mine had a lot of dead keys after 15 years in my friend's closet. Seems the ESQ-1 is designed so that any liquids that fall between the keys land on the keyboard circuit board traces and eat away at them. But I took it apart, found all the broken traces and jumpered around them (I had to run really long jumpers back around the UNDERSIDE of the board as the top-side needs to fit onto the keyboard mechanism which prevents the jumper wires from going on top.)

Replaced the battery too and she's good as new. For a while I was using it as a lower manual to my Korg CX-3, because it's flat top allowed me to jam it under the Korg as close as possible, like the Hammond's manuals. Its action also felt similar to the Korg's, so it was a nice transition between top and bottom manuals. (Used a DX-7 in this same job for the same reasons, but the ESQ-1 took over as it's both shallower, and a more organy-feeling action.)
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

An ALTO 12 ch. headphone amp.About 12 years old.
I keep it cause it still works.
Old 10th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Korg MS-10
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Sk-1, Dr. Sample and a asr-x
Old 11th January 2012
A pair of Peavey SP samplers. No resale value and nostalgia is why I keep them around.
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

I love my goofy little Alesis wedge. I well never get rid of it.
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear
RNC -- hard to call it low end, excepting the price
dbx 266 -- because it can destroy a drum loop. in a good way. (it destroys everything that goes through it, just not in a good way)
JoeMeek VC6 -- because it kills
Yamaha stereo -- because I've been listening to it for 20 years
JBL boom box -- because I've been listening to it for 30 years
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Though not necessarily considered low end when it came out, I find my Deltalab Effectron 1024 to be indispensable. Nothing I have found to this date does a pseudo ADT sound quite like it, and the straight delay sounds are surely worth the cheap price of admission.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Looking round my studio, not much!

I have a Commodore C64 which I use, it's 20 years old but I've only had that in the studio couple of years really.

So I think the only things I've had for more than a decade and still use are

MIDI Keyboard - "Evolution MK149"
I've had this since I first started with Cubase in 99. The keys keep snapping off, but I've got really good at repairing them, I think the C on each octave has broken at least once, and bottom C has been repaired several times! I bought a Novation KS4 to replace it (and bring some new sounds in), but I just didn't have the heart to get rid if the MK-149. So it's sat on my desk and I use it for VSTs and when I can't be bothered to walk over to the synth rack

Soundcard - "Creamware Pulsar II" aka "Sonic Core Scope (6 DSP)"
As I was in the trade, I got this for NFR price - £700 including all the plug ins. If I'd paid retail it would have been £2500-£3000 including the plug ins. Not exactly low-end, but I paid low-end price! I still use it now and am only just thinking about what I would replace it with. More than a decade later and there's still not anything like the Scope....other than a new Scope
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Some cheaper gear from years past can become quite cool to have and use today. The Ashley SC-50 compressor and MXR 136 Compressor are things I picked up used in a swap shop many years ago when I was first starting out. As I graduated to better high end gear, they got used less and less. While they get more use as rack fillers these days, I still kept them and used them from time to time. Now days those two product are considered special and desirable by many old timers and newbies as well.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

a folding waiter station that I "borrowed" from the Hotel Del Coronado at a gig there back in 1981. The thing still holds a keyboard like nobody's business.

OH and a AKG d1000e that I had sitting in a drawer, unused since 1979 - hooked it up last year upon discovering it still existed and dang! it's a fine little 57-sh dynamic, with built in eq curves!
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Shure Green Bullet- running stuff through guitar pedals never gets old.
Old 14th January 2012
Korg DRV-1000 Reverb. Bought it for like $10 many years ago. i always find a track that it does right by. It's more like glue than reverb if that makes sense.
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Korg MS20, Moog Source (not low end when it was new, I guess). An RCA BK6 lav mic that I still use for talkback.

phil p

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search