The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LDC voiced like 57 Condenser Microphones
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Forget LDC. Try a PE-54DCN or a Shure 545 from the 70's. If you like the SM-57 for vocals these older Shure models are sure to please and they're dirt cheap on ebay.

I tried LDC's from all price ranges and found that a dynamic mic was what I really wanted for my rock music productions.

I must say that I don't know whether Bono handholds an SM-58 or not but based off reading that I had our female vocalist try a 58 in the studio and it made a big difference (for the better) in her recorded sound.

Previously she was using a Peluso 2247LE/API 312/LA-2/Apogee chain.

We switched her to SM-58/API 312/1176/Apogee and the difference was night and day improvement in the way her voice comes across in recordings. The tone of the dynamic mic just fits her voice so much better.

My advice is don't pick the microphone off the way it looks, close your eyes and listen carefully to the sound.

Happy mic hunting and good music to you.
Old 5th November 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Wink

IMHO seriously consider getting either a Fmr. Audio RNP or GAP-73 for your 57.
Personally would have no qualms for this on myself-even on a major release(not that I'm there yet)
Just be prepared to do some EQing.

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search