The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tuning using comb filter Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Tuning using comb filter

This was tweeted by a producer i like (morgan page) not too long ago... :

#MPQuickTips~ Tune a reverb to the key of a song using a comb filter

How do you do this?
Old 6th November 2013
Here for the gear

Hey gritzildino,

Did you find an answer to this question. I am very interested in learning about this area. I have heard Morgan talk about tuning your reverb and white noise using this method.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritzildino View Post
This was tweeted by a producer i like (morgan page) not too long ago... :

#MPQuickTips~ Tune a reverb to the key of a song using a comb filter

How do you do this?
its simply done by ear. crank up the reverb and the comb filter and tune. then back down the reverb. its very easy.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
its simply done by ear. crank up the reverb and the comb filter and tune. then back down the reverb. its very easy.
I'm not sure I'm following you... can you explain how you would go about cranking up a comb filter and tuning? Tune what?

This is how I would go about it:

1) Set up your traditional reverb send/return and get a good reverb level.

2) Insert a delay plugin on the reverb return (you can experiment with putting it before or after the reverb). Set the wet/dry on the delay plugin to 50% to start with.

3) Find the frequency of the root note of the key of the song. Ex: if the root note is A, the frequency would be 27.50 Hz, or a multiple thereof (we will experiment with the multiples later on)

4) Now calculate the period of that frequency. The formula is as follows:

T (period) = 1/f

So for a frequency of 27.50 Hz, your period is 0.03636 seconds, or 36.36 milliseconds

5) Set the delay on your delay plugin to the amount that you just calculated.

Theoretically, this should cause a comb filter effect on the reverb based around the key of the song. I would play around with the wet/dry mix to change the amount of comb filtering effect. Also play around with changing the delay amount...double it, multiply it by four, or try cutting it in half.

I've never actually tried this, and I can't wait to see how it actually sounds... it's an interesting concept!
Old 6th November 2013
absynth 5 would allow you to do this
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search