The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphones for accurate production <$300 Studio Headphones
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Honestly, any mid-range cans from these brands will more than satisfy you:
Audio Technica
Beyerdynamic
Sennheiser
AKG
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenuggets View Post
I'll share with u a secret: krk 8400s, try them
Yes, the new KRK headphones (both models) are fantastic for price, comfort, and most importantly sound. Definitely but them on your list.

Graham
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
when mixing on phones (or at least checking mixes on phones) and for most regular listening and for some tracking, sony 7509 are my goto choice even over my akgs and other phones.

And believe me, I kind of hate sony as a brand. so you know I must love these phones to get around my lack of trust for the brand.

I do'nt know the krk or whatever brand for headphones though, interesting to read about it.

in teh industry though I find the 7506 or my preference te 7509 are just such an ideal setup of balance, performacne, just listenability, revealing quality, comfort, enough sound isolation to be useful in tracking, yet not so much to be annoying (like the very expensive and great sounding dual-driver akg tracking phones I've owned over the years - ears overheating is not a pleasant experience.).

just adding my two cents worth. I would take my sonys over many of the popular brands listed here. I enjoy my akg 240s for general listenign too but the sonys are actually superior in some ways. depends what I'm listening to though. classical? akg. most everythign else? the sonys.
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear

Hey guys. I'm bumping the thread as I have a similiar issue. I'm starting with the electronic music. I've been playing with my mouse in ableton for quite a while, but I started lacking things. I wanna focus on psytrance music. Lately I bought myself an akai mpk mini controller (I travel the world, so I my setup has to be compact) and my life had become so much easier, gave me a solid kick of motivation, but it turned out that the headphones I have been using so far are really bad ! Hence I'm looking for the headphones. I wanna spend a maximum of 350 dollars. I've noticed that you guys recommend either DT 150, ATH M50 or DT770/DT990, Shure 840 or KRK 8400. I tried reading about the difference between closed-back and open-back, but still I don't quite understand it. What's the major difference, how does it influence the production?

I'm using a samsung laptop with sound card Realtek ALC269, which is a joke I have been told. Following this, as I have researched already I will need an interface. Here, I have also absolutely idea what should I look at. I know that for now I won't be pluging in any divices, I will rather focus on my DAW.
A friend of mine recommended me such interface : Behringer U-PHORIA UM2 Audiophile 2x2 USB Audio Interface | eBay
He said that it would improve the quality of sound. What do you think ?

I know that there is a big difference between tasks of monitor headphones and monitor speakers, but for now I cannot settle down and set up a proper home-studio with the monitor speakers, so I have to grab the headphones and go on with my project, untill I have reached the state when monitor speakers are obligatory. I'll appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance !

I look forward to hearing from you musicophils

Pat.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear
closed back for tracking (near a microphone)
open or semi open for mixing (in a quiet environment)

I use DT770 for tracking, DT880 for mixing. 770's the bass is heavier and not as accurate in the low freq. 880's are much more accurate.
I use a headphone amp fed from an interface outputs. 880's are 250 ohm and require more power than a laptop, Ipod and most interface headphone outputs.

I have tried ATHm50's and returned them. Way too much bass and not comfortable at all.
IMO for under $300 the DT880's are hard to beat.

Open Or Closed Headphones
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Nut
I second, or third the AKG 701/702. Also, not all Gredo's are the same. Choose wisely.
Old 17th March 2014
Here for the gear

Thank you for your feedback guys ! Speaking of interface. I definitely know I should get one, as I'll need a better quality of sounds than my realtek can offer + an amplifier for my headphones. On the other hand I'm pretty sure that in the nearest future I'm not gonna plug in anything else than the headphones. but rather focus on VST plugins and learn it properly, before I start extending my gear. What choice do I have ? What parameters should I look at ?
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

Sub 300$ there are three cans that are usually mentioned:

Sennheiser HD 600: quite linear, slightly laid back and on the warm side. Some call it "veiled" (the so-called "Sennheiser veil") due to the treble being ever so slightly recessed. However, they are very relaxing to listen to thanks to this - no fatigue even in long sessions. These are phenomenal headphones for cultivated listening sessions. Some feel the clamp to be too much, so if you're wearing glasses you should try if they are comfortable for you.

AKG K701/702: They have a linear frequency response as well. Contrary to the Sennheiser the treble is slightly boosted here (but really only very slightly). This leads to them being somewhat of a 'magnifying glass'. You can hear every slightest noise, breath... So these are very revealing. The downside: this can be fatiguing when using them for long sessions. And bad recordings sound bad on them. For pure listening pleasure a more forgiving headphone may be preferable at times. Personally I love their accuracy though. The bass is a tad lacking, but that can be amended with a simple, removable mod. After the mod I found their bass response, and especially the bass impact, to be outstanding.

Beyerdynamic Dt 880: take the 250 or the 600 Ohm version. Their lowest ohm version is said to sound not as good, whereas the other two sound the same (I'm referring other opinions here, I have only heard the 250 ohm version). The only difference of the pro model is a higher clamping force. Simply choose the one that's more comfortable or cheaper. In terms of sound they are between the Sennheiser and the AKG. They sound balanced and clear, without much of an own 'character' (which is a good thing, as they don't color the sound in any way).

Between the three the Beyerdynamic were my favourite for listening to music. The Dt 880 is a perfect allrounder. They are well built and comfortable too, it's really a quality headphone. But for mixing/mastering I found the magnifying quality of the K701 extremely helpful. I love to hear every detail of a recording, including background noises and such. This revealing, accurate sound signature suits me best for many tasks.
Old 18th March 2014
Here for the gear

I've had the ATH m50 and now own the DT770 80 ohm and, being completely honest, i can't mix low end accurately with them. It sounds like the low end is being choked, specially with the m50. Although the DT770 are quite comfortable for longer sessions.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.wal View Post
Input equipment: Maschine + old gen Macbook for production (will be upgrading to a new MB Pro later on).
I doubt anyone will pay attention to this, but here's what I've learned over the years- if you're serious about audio, a new computer is way, way down your list of priorities. Unless you're a VST kind of guy, I imagine. For recording audio, computers have been sci-fi powerful for years, and are not a priority for recording.
Old 18th March 2014
Here for the gear

Would these recommendations also be appropriate for the headphones in a drum booth?
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobro View Post
I doubt anyone will pay attention to this, but here's what I've learned over the years- if you're serious about audio, a new computer is way, way down your list of priorities. Unless you're a VST kind of guy, I imagine. For recording audio, computers have been sci-fi powerful for years, and are not a priority for recording.

I hear what you're saying...but the trouble I had while casually trying to get started was the compatibility of the operating system with DAW's that where available at the time. I have a Bondi Blue G3 sitting in a corner that I would love to utilize some how, just because I like it. But the fact it's running OS 9.something makes it "difficult" well, for various reasons....Lack of support as programs become "obsolete", etc.

My neighbor records and tours professionally and his studio still uses MOTU running on a Macintosh 52xx !

Then there's that whole memory thing. Perhaps it's a topic for a different thread but yes Bobro- someone is paying attention
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Nut

Love the ATM50's. I find they are very accurate as I alternate sources. When I get a good mix on them I go through my monitors, ****ty speakers, and even ****tier earbuds. I found I have good results all around, so they work for me. As far as the comfort thing, I have found them to be very comfortable for long sessions. But in general, it's good to take a break here and there and refresh your ears. If my ear lobes do start to get uncomfortable it probably means I should take a break anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search