The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help!? Is my gear busted? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Help!? Is my gear busted?

So I was using my UA 710 preamp today and I went to get a drink real quick. I left the preamp on and came back maybe like 15 min later. Prior to me leaving it worked perfectly. I came back and tried to record a verse but everything was distorted. The vocals were coming through but it sounded horrible. I checked all the cables and the only problem in the chain was the UA 710. I switched it from the mic input to line input and a very loud high pitch tone came through my speakers/headphones, I had my phones on and it scared the crap out of me. Any suggestions on what to do or what could be wrong?

If it matters I had the dial all the way on tube at the time, but the distortion and tone on the line in is there even on the solidstate side.

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, so sorry if its in the wrong spot.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktodac3298 View Post
So I was using my UA 710 preamp today and I went to get a drink real quick. I left the preamp on and came back maybe like 15 min later. Prior to me leaving it worked perfectly. I came back and tried to record a verse but everything was distorted. The vocals were coming through but it sounded horrible. I checked all the cables and the only problem in the chain was the UA 710. I switched it from the mic input to line input and a very loud high pitch tone came through my speakers/headphones, I had my phones on and it scared the crap out of me. Any suggestions on what to do or what could be wrong?

If it matters I had the dial all the way on tube at the time, but the distortion and tone on the line in is there even on the solidstate side.

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, so sorry if its in the wrong spot.
Hummm...What and how much did you have to drink.?..heh..Seriously tho, this sounds strange if it was working and then 15 minutes later it's not..Not unusual that things like this happens tho..Good luck..
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds stupid, but check the cables....
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds to me like a dead or almost dead tube or transistor, or the power supply not delivering the right voltage, could be a million things really, dont know the complete UA 710 architecture so i couldnt tell, definitely worth having a tech take a look at its guts, if not, send it over to UA if its still under warranty.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search