The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRK rp5 sound breaks up / cuts out occasionally Utility Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

KRK rp5 sound breaks up / cuts out occasionally

Hey there. I am experiencing some issues with one of my monitors (KRK rp5 g2). Ocasionally sound starts breaking up. I can't quite describe it in words but the closest approach would be to compare it when one is plugging a guitar and the amplifier is on. I can't really reproduce how or when this happens as it seems to be random, however, volume MAY trigger it sometimes. Sometimes when I boosted them (to moderately loud levels, but not blasting levels) this problem was triggered. I tried the following:
- different input cables
- different power cables
- different source (home stereo, mp3 player, etc)

The fact that volume seems to trigger it leads me to believe that there is something not properly soldered (perhaps) or some vibration causing something to do a short circuit. When the problem is happening, moving the volume knob doesn't fix the problem

Unfortunately, the monitors are out of warranty and I can't send them to repair as I live in Argentina and we don't have a local KRK representative.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Power? overheat?
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

I doubt it's due to overheat because last time it happened they hadn't been running for a long time.
Old 10th September 2011
Gnu
Here for the gear

Have you tried a different power source? If you've connected them to different audio sources and both speakers are exhibiting the problem, they might not be getting clean power. Try another outlet. If they're connected to a power strip, try replacing that, too. Since they're powered speakers -- each having a separate power supply from the other -- if they both exhibit the same symptom in stereo regardless of the audio source, power would be the common denominator. (Unless, that is, you're not certain that it is both speakers.) If all else fails, checking for faulty fuses couldn't hurt.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
Have you tried a different power source? If you've connected them to different audio sources and both speakers are exhibiting the problem, they might not be getting clean power. Try another outlet. If they're connected to a power strip, try replacing that, too. Since they're powered speakers -- each having a separate power supply from the other -- if they both exhibit the same symptom in stereo regardless of the audio source, power would be the common denominator. (Unless, that is, you're not certain that it is both speakers.) If all else fails, checking for faulty fuses couldn't hurt.
That's what I had suspected. I tried it in another power socket using a stereo and the headphones output and I couldn't reproduce it. But since it happens sporadically it could have merely been luck. It hasn't happened again for 2 days.

I've replaced the power strip but it happened again some hours after I did that, so if it is a power issue, it's gotta be in my room's power socket.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

I can confirm that raising the volume up and down seems to fix it. Today I turned them on after I woke up and they were acting ******** like if the tweeter was gone, I turned the volume up and down, sound started breaking up and then it got back to normal.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Check the cables in the front part that connect the speakers, tweteer etc...You should take the cover out.It is easy.

I had the same problem and the cables were loose.
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

Is the part I should take out the one in the front? The one with the hexagonally-shaped screws?
Old 28th July 2013
Here for the gear

Output Gain Output Gain!!

So these speakers have been super weird like that! I have noticed that it doesnt matter how hard a sound is hitting your audio interface... its more of what your output gain setting is... Example I have the Apollo Quad..... When i play music on itunes it doesnt matter how much i turn up or turn down the volume on the itunes level... If I adjust the monitor output on the apollo level below 50% that is when I get breakup and cut outs....

Another thing I have noticed is on certain frequency ranges especially the 80-125hz range it will get cut out....

Lastly, these speakers will not cut out in anyway shape or form if you have them running in mono.... but when in stereo they have a tendency to do so..

I think these speakers sound great however i question the build quality.... This is coming from a Genelec guy!
Old 17th September 2013
Here for the gear

same problem

hey have you figured out whats wrong?
my left monitor works for a couple of seconds then the volume cuts really low
anybody found a soloution?
Old 17th September 2013
Lives for gear

It's a lose/dirty connection some where in the internal circuitry, cant be cable's as there are separate cables for each speaker. You tried different source's so it's not your mixer or anything.
You have no warranty to void so locate a clean and un-cluttered workbench/area and carefully start dissembling one of them. There has to be some sort of common long-term defect from the factory that is causing them to act the same. That is if, you have ruled out the AC power source, what type of AC power do you use in your country? 110 volt's? 220 volt's?
Old 4th November 2013
Here for the gear

UPDATE!!! I have fixed the problem with soldering! when you open the speaker up you should find a red and black wire that goes to the tweeter... there will be a metal piece that is covered with a plastic tube.... solder this and the problem should be resolved....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search