The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Realistic 33-1070 dynamic omni mics Dynamic Microphones
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Realistic 33-1070 dynamic omni mics

I have been searching the net to find the answer to this question. Does anyone know the specific differences between the Realistic 33-1070 models?
One difference that I know of is impedance.
Realistic 33-1070 is 500 ohms
Realistic 33-1070B is ??? ohms
Realistic 33-1070C is 300 ohms
Realistic 33-1070D is ??? ohms
It's the same mic as a Electrovoice RE-50 as Rat Shack had EV make them back in the day. I have a Realistic 33-1070B and am trying to find a match for it. They're a little noisy but sound pretty nice on louder things.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwarner View Post
I have been searching the net to find the answer to this question. Does anyone know the specific differences between the Realistic 33-1070 models?
It's the same mic as a Electrovoice RE-50 as Rat Shack had EV make them back in the day. I have a Realistic 33-1070B and am trying to find a match for it. They're a little noisy but sound pretty nice on louder things.
dunno
cant you measure it ?

i would just get the current model from the batteryshack
or
go to orange county speaker repair (see them on amazon) and get a gls 57/58
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

OK.

dunno, cant you measure it ?

If I was sure how to do that, would I waste my time posting this?
Is it something like an ohm meter across the ground and pin 2?

"i would just get the current model from the batteryshack"

The model is long discontinued. I think I alluded to that in my post.

"or
go to orange county speaker repair (see them on amazon) and get a gls 57/58"

"gls 57/58" doesn't return any search results on their site.

Thanks
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

The RS 1070's are omnis. The GLS mics are cardiod. Different animals. The 1070's were actually made by Shure for Radio Shack, and are indeed similar to the EV RE50's.

This thread has some info on them sporadically here and there throughout the thread:
Fifty dollar mics - Home Recording forums
Old 7th September 2011
He's talking about these:
GLS Audio ES-57 ES57 Professional Microphone Mic

It's irrelavent though, way different mic.

I bought a couple. I don't think they sound like 57's.
Brighter. Thinner. Different mid range.

Put it on snare and compare to real 57. Not close.

Might work on something.

Not what you are looking for though.

john
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I started a thread on these mics a little while back and have since purchased a couple of the 33-1070D's. According to the spec sheet for this 'D' revision, the microphone is rated as 200 Ohms with a frequency response of 50 to 15,000Hz.

So if 'D' =200 ohms, 'C' = 300 ohms, and 'A' = 500 ohms, are we to assume that 'B = 400 ohms?

It appears that the ohms were reduced with each revision. Apart from this I doubt if there was a great deal of difference between them and the later models certainly share the same frequency response. However, having only the paperwork for the 'D' revision I can only speculate as their frequency response charts may show some slight variation.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for taking the time to post this info. I'm still finding uses for these mics but so far it sure makes the ultimate smash mic on drums.
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to post this info. I'm still finding uses for these mics but so far it sure makes the ultimate smash mic on drums.
Yeah, as room mics and as auxiliary overhead/s on drums is where I tend to put these mics to use, usually treated with some heavy DBX compression.

Have had some pleasing results on guitar cabs too, sometimes in conjunction with another mic, other times on its own.

Being as the 33-1070 series of microphones were apparently Shures attempt at cloning the electro Voice RE50 I would be interested to know how similar these microphones sound. Judging by the Frequency response graphs, the 33-1070's appears to behave more like the RE50's predecessor, the RE635.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search