The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors that are also used as hifi speakers Studio Monitors
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Monitors that are also used as hifi speakers

I've been using a pair of Yorkville ysm passive monitors in my basement studio. They were connected from a headphone amp to a 70's Kenwood amp.

The amp was shared with a cd player and when I wanted to just jam out on the drums, etc, I would use them for that.

Well it seems that over time something has gone wrong. Could be the amp needs some cleaning, but I think the speakers might be blown.

Is there anyone here who uses their monitors for regular listening as well?

I'm thinking of buying some new powered monitors (Yamaha HS50M or HS80M) and wondering how I would rig it up. Would the CD player need to feed into the headphone amp and then back out to the speakers?
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul&folk View Post
I've been using a pair of Yorkville ysm passive monitors in my basement studio. They were connected from a headphone amp to a 70's Kenwood amp.

The amp was shared with a cd player and when I wanted to just jam out on the drums, etc, I would use them for that.

Well it seems that over time something has gone wrong. Could be the amp needs some cleaning, but I think the speakers might be blown.

Is there anyone here who uses their monitors for regular listening as well?

I'm thinking of buying some new powered monitors (Yamaha HS50M or HS80M) and wondering how I would rig it up. Would the CD player need to feed into the headphone amp and then back out to the speakers?

A 70's amp? Recap the thing. It's likely that is what has "gone wrong".

40 year old electrolytics?

wow.

john
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not convinced that's what it is. It's been serving me well for quite some time - around 7 years. But you might be right. I'll have to test it.
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul&folk View Post
I'm not convinced that's what it is. It's been serving me well for quite some time. But you might be right. I'll have to test it.

Why?

What is it behaving like? I mean, what "went wrong"? Kind of vague.

electrolytics will and do dry out. Easy fix....I would be hoping that's what it was, if it were me, and I wanted to keep the thing.

As far as speakers being blown, could be that too of course. However, if I had an amp even 15 years old, I would recap it.

I just have no idea what you mean by "has gone wrong"
john

btw...the speaker blown thing is a no brainer. This should be an easy diagnosis. I thought you had gotten that far, and it wasn't the speaker.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

there are two issues. One is probably related to a button on the amp. Sometimes I get a brief moment when one speaker cuts out. But if I hit the AUX button hard (the output of the DAW goes into there) I don't have that problem.

The other issue is that at high volumes, I'm getting distortion. Sounds fine when I turn the volume down. Good enough to mix with, but I feel like I'm ruining the speakers when I turn the volume up and drum along.

So I'm thinking - the speakers are blown, just get some powered speakers and don't worry about the amplifier any more.

And so I'm also wondering about how to hook up my CD player with powered speakers that are already hooked up to a DAW.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd re-cap the Kenwood. Some of their amps in the 70's, when Henry Akia was there, were really quite good.

WW
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Model I've got is the KA-3500. It sounds sweet. But I just don't know if I'm about to spend $100 to have it worked on...

I'll be checking the speakers tomorrow to see if they're blown. I'll hook them up to my stereo system upstairs.

And I might as well hook the amp up to other components while I'm at it.

Hey, maybe it's got something to do with my headphone amp! After all it's from Behringer! heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search