The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Budget Monitor Question... Studio Monitors
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Budget Monitor Question...

I've recently purchase a FireStudio Project as an upgrade from my previous, paltry interface. I'm looking to upgrade the monitors I have as well. I'm looking for a "best in class" type on a small budget. I'm eyeballing the Yamaha HSO5W pair, and the Alesis MKII pair. The Yamaha is powered, and the Alesis, not.

My question concerns the issue of powered vs. not, and whether or not it will influence the mixing process. Also, if anyone has experience using these models or suggestions on other options, I would welcome the feedback.

Thanks...
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

I use the HS50M. They are my first real monitor and couldn't be more happy ! I chose them after listening to all the advice on the internet BUT I did listen to them on a local store. I have not heard the Alesis, but I chose to go with amplified monitor for the simplicity. Plug and play :P no hassle with amp. Just calibrate the volume nob on the 50M and everything will be fine.

Of course when I A/B them at the store I notice a difference with high end monitor but hey ... I got them use for less then retail price and they sound good ! Maybe I'll buy the sub soon ...

I think for a first monitor you can't go wrong with the HS50M.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah the HS50 would be my choice out of the two.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

While the HS are decent have you considered the Mackie MR5 mk II in the same price range?

Much better bottom end, well rounder monitor imo.

I find the Yamahas to be harsh and fatiguing with no real bottom end even though only tried them briefly.

They are NOT a modern NS10..
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Oh and I have heard the Alesis passives are better than the powered versions which are trash. Search around on these forums a bit I believe you will find the same.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rst82 View Post

I find the Yamahas to be harsh and fatiguing with no real bottom end...

They are NOT a modern NS10.

Well come on now, you can't have it both ways. hehheh
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
While the HS are decent have you considered the Mackie MR5 mk II in the same price range?

I find the Yamahas to be harsh and fatiguing with no real bottom end even though only tried them briefly.

But like the NS10, if you get a mix sounding good on them it translates great. I've been using a pair for a couple years now, when I got them I fully intended to upgrade to Adams or something better in short order but the darned things have worked out really nicely, allowing me to spend the $ on other things I needed. I think they are a rather huge bargain.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ves Paul View Post
My question concerns the issue of powered vs. not, and whether or not it will influence the mixing process.
It does not influence the mixing process. It it merely a question of having the power amps integrated into the speaker cabinet or not. Once you hook them up they will do the same kind of job for you.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

I've always gone for powered monitors for ease and space issues. At least you know this way the amp is matched well to the speaker. Also some active monitors are biamped, which, if you did that passively, would mean buying two amps.

From what I have heard, it can help having a great amp feeding more 'crappy' monitors like NS10s, Auratones etc.

Maybe your local store could do an A/B of the Alesis passive and active?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

yamaha msp5
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

The new MK2s are very nice,great bottom AND top! Go to your local store with a couple of cd,s you know well and demo these and the yamys side by side. Its the best way my freind when it comes to moitors! Hope this helps?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Best budget monitor..hmm..
Adam A3X or Yamaha HS50 or MSP5
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

If your question was about to go with amplified monitor or passive with an amp, as I said, go amplified it will be less trouble.
Old 8th September 2011
Old 8th September 2011
2nd hand NS-10s and a HiFi amp you can borrow/find from somewhere.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwardyLikeTank View Post
Well come on now, you can't have it both ways. hehheh
Very true.

To the OP:

I have been trying to find the thread for you where ppl were saying that if you must go Alesis definitely go for the passives over the actives. But I can't..

I do agree actives are less hassle, but for some reason those particular speakers were much better in the passive version.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

It all depends on your budget. For just under $300 US you can get a pair of of the new Behringer Truth 1030A monitors. Great speakers. Way flatter than their old models. I did a video review of them on the blog: Behringer Truth B1030A Studio Monitors Review [Video] | The Recording Revolution

Other great speakers in that range are the above mentioned M-Audio BXa 5inch models and the KRK Rockits.

Cheers,
Graham
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

I've been going though this one myself this month. I've had the HS 50s for a year or so and I'm not really getting on with them - they sound good, and are pleasant to work with, but any mixes I do on them sound rediculously bass heavy on any other system. Prior to buying the HS 50s I had a set of £20 charity shop hi-fi speakers and the mixes I did on those sound infinately better - maybe I got incredibly lucky when I bought them, maybe I just knew them inside out, either way it's not a ringing endorsement for the HS50s.

So, I've been shopping around for alternatives and I've ended up going down the passive route with great results: a set of '90s KRK K-roks and an HH Mosfet power amp that's built like a tank, total cost £160 including shipping. They blow the HS50s away, and stack up well against powered units three or four times the amount I spent. It feels like the market for passives and amps is pretty subdued these days, and if you can live with the size and inconvenience of and older passive set up you could find yourself a great sounding set up for very little money.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search