The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Considering KRK Rokit 6's or 8's Studio Monitors
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Considering KRK Rokit 6's or 8's

Hi gearslutz.com, I've been browsing the site for a few days on and off and have decided I need direct help. So here's my first thread

I'm looking to replace my current setup (Logitech Z5500 10" woofer with Cerwin Vega 2-ways) with studio monitors.

My dilemma is I can't decide between the simple setup of two Rokit 8's or two Rokit 6's with a 10" KRK woofer. For most applications I know that the two 8's should work great and a subwoofer would just be an extra hassle. However, I mostly play heavy electronic music and can't kick the feeling that I need a separate driver for very low frequencies. What do you think?

I'm also looking for a USB interface under $200 that can handle both 2.0 or 2.1 setups. (My soundblaster isn't quite cutting it)

Thanks
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just recently upgraded from using stereo speakers to monitors; I chose the krk rp8g2. I think that the biggest concern for most people is the size of the monitor compared to the space you're working with. Personally, I didn't realize how big the 8s would be in my room but after getting a station desk they fit nicely on the upper tier. As for bass, I make hip hop instrumentals, and a lot of bass-y club kind of stuff. I might be wrong but I felt like there was a definite break in period, but after a couple weeks the bass was very nice, and as you lean to mix with monitors it'll become apparent when it's bumping too much. I'm considering a sub, but I think that once you know how the bass translates into a car with a sub, etc you don't really need one.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
I just recently upgraded from using stereo speakers to monitors; I chose the krk rp8g2. I think that the biggest concern for most people is the size of the monitor compared to the space you're working with. Personally, I didn't realize how big the 8s would be in my room but after getting a station desk they fit nicely on the upper tier. As for bass, I make hip hop instrumentals, and a lot of bass-y club kind of stuff. I might be wrong but I felt like there was a definite break in period, but after a couple weeks the bass was very nice, and as you lean to mix with monitors it'll become apparent when it's bumping too much. I'm considering a sub, but I think that once you know how the bass translates into a car with a sub, etc you don't really need one.
Thanks for the reply, what did you in regards to an interface/sound card?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

In terms of interface I would look at the Focusrite Saffire Pro 6 USB. Will give you 4 nice clean outputs as well as some good management software. Also has 2 nice clean pres.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search