The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
condo (acoustic) comando
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

condo (acoustic) comando

Hi GS,
I was a member a few years ago and lost my credentials, so i started a new account.

any hew.

the goal: achieve a good acoustic guitar sound when running direct.

My problem is i live in a condo,and a rather loud one at that. Between the AC unites, the other residents, and the general environment (near the beach) using an LDC is a little tough.

gear:
taylor 414ce
fishman aura spectrum DI
PT LE

So far i am getting an OK sound, but it feels little tinny.

Thanks in advance for any advice, i could really use some!
-Jason
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Lr baggs m1
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Is this for keeper takes? If so I'd strongly recommend either paying for studio time or uprooting your setup and finding a quiet spot to track yourself.

DI acoustic can sound pretty good with certain pickup systems but it is hard to beat a well-miced guitar.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

I do agree, can't truly replace the mic.

Work reality makes it tough to book private time...most of my music comes in the wee hours between the grind.

The sound that I am getting is good save for the tinny/thin aspect.

I have also been out of the sound loop for a couple of years, just now getting my recording/mixing hands dirty again...I will try to post an mp3 this weekend.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

I haven't ever used one but have you considered the Aphex Acoustic Xciter? I've got the Bass Xciter that I used to use in front of my small combo amp. I haven't used it on an acoustic guitar because my pickup isn't working. I believe it would be good for thickening the tone but I'm not sure if it'll resolve the tinny quality. It's something to consider, perhaps. The Aphex site has a little demo of the box on acoustic guitar. I haven't listened to it with headphones or good speakers yet (and my laptop speakers are blown) but it may give you an idea of what to expect.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could maybe think about acoustic panels (such as Owens Corning 703/705). If you cover an entire wall it might be enough to shut out noisy neighbours - and they won't be bothered by noisy guitar guy next door either

Unless you particularly like the plugged-in tone, I think you'll get a much better guitar sound with a mic. Accurate, flat and sparkling clarity (without over-hyped harshness) are what you want for an acoustic guitar. Try an ADK A6, or an Oktava Mk012 - or better still a pair. There's a Joly mod for the Oktavas worth looking at.

It could be the guitar. Maybe you're looking for a different sound. Taylors have a reputation for being bright.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sometimes when I want a "darker" sound I'll tune down half a step. Yep Taylor's are kinda bright. But they're great guitars and it's what you've got. Thicken up AC tracks by doubling them too. I usually just track 2 or 3 different performances really tight and blend them at different volume levels and experiment with panning. Maybe mic a second performance (or the original performance), keep the lows in there instead of shelving them, and blend that track in right up the middle for some girth. At lower levels you won't notice extraneous environmental noise so much. A nice plugin for saturation effect is useful too. Lately I've been evaluating Stillwell's Vibe EQ and Bad Buss Mojo, both of which are fantastic so far for what you're talking about. The crazy/beautiful mids Vibe EQ can come up with are pretty sweet. A little reminiscent of UAD's Pultec Pro. Copy one of your better tracks and add the plug to that track and blend it in til you're happy with the result.
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the tips!

As far as the guitar goes I love the sound, my goal is to just reproduce it as much as I can.

How do you guys feel about a MP of NT5s on the Taylor?
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

...i have alwyas been curious about the royer 121...i could wait a while and save up, worth it?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicology View Post
How do you guys feel about a MP of NT5s on the Taylor?
I'd rather have a pair of ADK A6 or Oktava Mk012.

A spaced pair of LDCs gives a wider image than SDCs in XY. The option of omni capsules with the Mk012 is interesting. You could for example use a Jecklin disk.

Unless you've got a treated room, you'll probably have to get in close with the mics. Rather counter-intuitively, omnis might be used to try to take out the room because they have no proximity effect and so you can get in really close.

I'd probably still go for the A6 though. Great on guitar and also very versatile for other uses. Here's an A6 sample from dreamguitars: Dream Guitars: New Lucas Guitars
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

smart thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post

Rather counter-intuitively, omnis might be used to try to take out the room because they have no proximity effect and so you can get in really close.
man that is smart. thanks!
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

ok, so close with an omni (or is matched pair of omnis close mic best?)
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's something else to think about.

Omnis are often said to sound very natural on acoustic guitar, very close to the sound of the live instrument.

With a bit of DIY, it's also possible to extend the Jecklin disk into a "Jecklin box" to make it more directional (Owens Corning again).

Or maybe they'd work best with one omni on the neck/body join, and another on the bridge / lower bout. You could probably get in a little closer that way.

I honestly don't know which set up will work best for you. As long as you've got a decent mic(s), whatever it may be, and take the time to find the best position, you should be able to get a decent sound.

Room treatment can help a lot too - and not just to cut outside noise.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search