The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your own ways or technique to mixing a live-recorded show Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Your own ways or technique to mixing a live-recorded show

You may go all you want;

Bleed, Main Vocals compression VS bleed, what do you do when you had no control on what happened on-stage, no plexi glass for drums, ect. How'd you get that really good keyboard sound without taking too much space in your mix vs other instruments and vocals.. ?

I'm really interested in what might come up!

What are your tricks?!
Old 5th September 2011
My trick is to not try to make it sound like it WAS NOT live show, after that it is quite easy. Recently I was in some big media store and there was music in the background which happened to be live recording. When the sax solo came out you could hear feedback I believe from stage monitors ... and you know what, it was great anyway heh
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicFirthy View Post
You may go all you want;

Bleed, Main Vocals compression VS bleed, what do you do when you had no control on what happened on-stage, no plexi glass for drums, ect. How'd you get that really good keyboard sound without taking too much space in your mix vs other instruments and vocals.. ?

I'm really interested in what might come up!

What are your tricks?!
Putting the right mic on the singer is key, as well as helping them with technique if they let you. Beware, some vocal mics have a very tight pattern, but can reach way back behind a singer. One of these is the Neumann KMS 105. Great sounding mic, with great sounding leakage, but even though it is a supercardioid, it picks up stuff 8-10' away like it's 1ft away. I used to have really good luck with the old EV N/D series stuff, nice and tight, and not a ton of reach. Also, muting the BVs in between parts helps a bunch, but it is something you must be good at to do. There are also novel ways to mute them automatically if you have a lot of budget. Obviously the more band you keep out of the vocal mics, the more room you have in the mix.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search