The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how big of an amp will i need? Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

how big of an amp will i need?

HI IM TRYING TO POWER 2 OF THESE Amazon.com: Pyle PADH212 1600W Heavy Duty Speaker MDF Construction with Reinforced Corners: Electronics

THE AMP I HAVE SELECTED IS
Amazon.com: Pyle-Pro PDG2000 2000 Watt Blue Rock Professional Stereo Power Amplifier: Musical Instruments

will i need a bigger amp? and if i do what would i need. thank you
Old 4th September 2011
PRH
Gear Addict

Without knowing your situation and what you want to achieve with the bins, it's not really possible to say.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

djing parties, weddings
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

To how many people? 100 in a small venue? 1000 in a larger venue?
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

100 people venue, but for house parties it needs to be very loud
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

You put 1600 watts into that two 12 speaker and I guarantee you will have a smoking pile of cardboard shortly.

I would put no more than 500 watts into that cabinet. For the money, I would get a QSC GX3 or Peavey IPR 1600.

Putting that kind of power (1600 watts) into a hundred dollar speaker cabinet is asking for trouble.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I gave you the answer in high end.

There is no such thing as having too much power in your situation. Under-powered amps blow speakers, because you push them too hard and the square wave fries the tweeters. Having lots of extra amp power is like having a car with a powerful engine. When you NEED that power, you have it. You CAN drive like an idiot and kill yourself or the highway, but you don't have to use it that way.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I gave you the answer in high end.

There is no such thing as having too much power in your situation. Under-powered amps blow speakers, because you push them too hard and the square wave fries the tweeters. Having lots of extra amp power is like having a car with a powerful engine. When you NEED that power, you have it. You CAN drive like an idiot and kill yourself or the highway, but you don't have to use it that way.
As an old drag racer, that analogy doesn't work. Try injecting your daily driver with nitrous sometime and see what all that extra power does..

Putting a thousand watts into a hundred dollar speaker cabinet can and will cause damage.

There needs to be common sense.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound View Post
As an old drag racer, that analogy doesn't work. Try injecting your daily driver with nitrous sometime and see what all that extra power does..

Putting a thousand watts into a hundred dollar speaker cabinet can and will cause damage.

There needs to be common sense.
Well it does not work like that with PA systems and speakers. Rule of thumb is you want more amp than speaker.. why? So you dont have to drive your amp hard and make it distort. Say if your running a 100 watt speaker with a 25 watt amp.. You will need to crank the amp up pretty good which will lead to distortion.. Now replace the 25 watt amp with a 150 watt amp. What you get is a way cleaner sound with tons more headroom.. You wont have to push the 150 watt amp nearly as hard to get a good sound out of the speakers.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

First of all; your choice speaker and amp are ok.... i mean for that price range.

Still, do not expect miracle; most pro speaker range at 105-110db, your padh212 at Sensitivity(1w/1m): 98dB and the non-published specs... may not take more than 50 peoples on dance floor.
Therefore if you want those to last for a time; you must also invest on serious sub-bass. and keep the padh212 as mid/high.

Now, two Behringer eurolive b215d with stand (used on Ebay) may cost you the same and better result. for few reasons;
1) mounted on stand the high frequency got a better dispersion.
2) integrated amplification.
etc, etc...

but again; Sub-bass give the sensation of power.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The analogy works perfectly. Nobody mentioned racing or nitrous but you. Our Audi gets us up and down the mountains where a car with a less powerful engine would have trouble making the grades.

When I was trained, the headroom suggested for PA work was 10dB over what the speakers handle. For each 3dB, the power requirement doubles. Do the math. More amp power equals a good thing in the hands of a knowledgeable operator. Anything turns to crap in the hands of a bozo.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I guess my original point has been lost.

Putting 1600 watts into a hundred dollar speaker cabinet just because that's what the label says disregards common sense.

Yes headroom is a good thing. Common sense must prevail to avoid a burning pile of cardboard.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up burning pile of cardboard

burning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboardburning pile of cardboard
Quote:
I guess my original point has been lost.

Putting 1600 watts into a hundred dollar speaker cabinet just because that's what the label says disregards common sense.

Yes headroom is a good thing. Common sense must prevail to avoid a burning pile of cardboard.
Old 9th September 2011
Fwi That pyle power amp is really only rated at about 200 continuous watts per channel, the 2000 watts is its peak power. So you would be totally under powering those speakers and possible blow the tweeters if you run the power amp to high.

I checked the manual and its kinda funny they do not mention the continuous wattage only peak power. But they do mention the continuous wattage in their other range of power amps. Buy a proper power amp with at least 800 continuous watts per side.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/manuals/PPA200-300-450.pdf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search