The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1073 clone preamp? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

1073 clone preamp?

I'm looking for the cheapest possible alternative to a 1073 preamp, or at least something with a similar color. I am not looking to break the bank because it won't be my main preamp. Just want it as an alternative. I know it sounds crazy, but preferably something below 500USD. The cheaper the better. Just looking for something reliable and that provides a nice saturation in the direction of a 1073. Again, doesn't have to be an exact clone.

Okay, let the flaming begin! Haha
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

haha maybe a used group buy ACMP-73 ...
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

GAP pre 73?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good suggestions so far. GAP 73 sounds interesting! Anyone ever A/B to a 1073?
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

Not sure of your time frame, but Black Lion Audio is working on a 300 dollar neve clone. Their API clone is pretty sweet. You can get info at their facebook page.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah I'm waiting for the BLA 1073 clone, looks like they're getting close but who knows.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I can wait, and I just remembered hearing about the BLA somewhere. As I said, not going to be my main pre so I'm not rushing.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman View Post
Good suggestions so far. GAP 73 sounds interesting! Anyone ever A/B to a 1073?
Nope. Never been done and especially not here!

I wouldn't even bother searching here. There is no way that a long thread by the same or similar title would exist. Such a thread would likely contain tons of clips and opinions and that would not be appropriate here, no way.

So, nope. Never been done.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post

I wouldn't even bother searching here. There is no way that a long thread by the same or similar title would exist. Such a thread would likely contain tons of clips and opinions and that would not be appropriate here, no way.

Asshat ^
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

I went through this a few months ago. Short answer is no, nothing around $500 sounds even close. I wound up saving some extra $ and went with a BAE DMP from Mercenary, I think it was $1049. I couldn't be happier, sound is so full and wonderful. Great River has some good options for that type of sound but nothing under a grand.

I have a GAP Pre 73 I need to sell at some point as well, not even close imho, although not a bad sound by any means.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post

hehheh
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

If you're on a limited budget, why not go for something that sounds awesome at that price point rather than something that is a pale imitation of something else more expensive? What I mean is, the Neve design is not cheap to make--it's fully discrete with three gain stages and two transformers. There are, however, awesome sounding preamps that are cheaper simply because the materials (and reputation) don't cost as much. I know you want a Neve, but what I'm saying is if you're on a budget now, I would get something transformerless and IC-based that really knocks that design out of the park rather than something that tries to ape an expensive design on the cheap.

Make sense?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmo0815 View Post
Asshat ^
^^ Rude Punk
Old 4th September 2011
I a/b'd them against a pair of 1081's...eq out. To my ears, the GAP was not as smooth in the top. At least that was the very first thing I noticed. It took a minute (a couple days really) to distinctly hear what the differences were, but yeah, not as nice and smooth on top.

At first, you want to believe that it is as good, and you hear the similarities. Then you notice the differences.

Go figure at that price...

Also, when you put the eq IN...it's all over. The Neve is just "that" sound.

Keep in mind though that the 1081's are a different amp and a different model. Not the class a amp that the GAP was "modeled" from. Still, I have used the 1073, and I bet if a/b'd stock, the differences would be considerable there as well.

I'm not going into the flaws of the gap, I'll just say:

I promptly modded the units, with the guidance of a respected equipment designer. Now they sound pretty damn nice. Just like a Neve? I dunno man. Close.

I will say that even stock though, they sound pretty cool on some electric bass gtr's. Precisions and Jazz's sound cool through them.

If you like kinda raw and dirty (edgy?) the stock unit is good for that for sure. There, said something nice, and it does deserve at least that.

The acmp was the first, and it comes from the same factory as the GAP.

The GAP was a little more "refined", and used different (better) switching, and has no eq. The acmp also had an internal supply that caused some people a bit of grief.

That said, some of the GAP switches crapped out in a short time as well.

For that money though...

Maybe wait for the BLA model. I suspect that many of the ruts others got stuck in, they will be able to avoid with this one.

Good luck,
john
Old 4th September 2011
there really is nothing at this price point that even comes close. If this really is all you can afford just get yourself a decent little unit like the FMR RNP and get on with making music.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. There is a thread or two... or 50 about it.

Golden Age Project Pre73

GAP 73 (Neve style) Mic Pre with 'real' Carnhill Transformers vs Original version

Sorry. Forgive my humor but as rampant as Gap love is here at GS, I thought it funny to see someone ask if there ever was a comparison. Hope the links help and don't mind me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search